Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I read this expression, "argued with some force", but am finding it difficult to understand it. Could you please let me know what it means? Here is the excerpt:

The accused then— I began to scan the file more hurriedly, one eye on the officials who were filing into the courtroom below, the session would begin soon—formed an army of mercenaries and began a process of ethnic cleansing, leading to death squads and mass graves. The UN sent peacekeeping troops, the African Union demanded that the accused step down from power, he was entirely unrepentant. His opponent retaliated, civil war ensued. Eventually, in the wake of French and United Nations air strikes, the opposition forces and the UN captured the accused and placed him under house arrest. This was approximately five months after the disputed election. If peacekeeping troops had not been present, it was assumed that the accused would have been executed, but the UN argued with some force that he should be tried in an international court, and now here he was, and had been for some years awaiting trial.

- Katie Kitamura, Intimacies, Chapter 8

This is a novel published in 2021 in the United States of America. The protagonist is an interpreter working at the International Criminal Court at The Hague. Now she is reading a dossier dealing with the accused for whom she is going to interpret.

In this part, I wonder what this underlined expression means.
Would it mean that UN exerted some enforcement powers to argue...? Or would it just mean that the UN emphasized its statement...? 🙄

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
They were bold as opposed to being timid. They were unwilling to give in. They were forceful in the sense that they didn't give in. The alternative would have been that they simply stated their opinion without much conviction behind it.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It just means that they made some strong, forceful, compelling arguments.

When thinking about arguments, we typically use metaphors of fighting. The words weak, strong, powerful, force, counter, are all commonly used. The strongest, most forceful argument wins.

Coffee Break

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
@Tarheel, @jutfrank and @Skrej,

Thank you very much for the explanations.
So "argued with force" means that the UN made a strong, forcible, bold argument!
The UN was not timid in arguing.
I truly appreciate your help. :)

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Sadly, even when it's not necessarily the most logical, factual, rational, truthful, or helpful.

I disagree. The strongest argument is the most logical. It might not 'win' in the eyes of those concerned, but that's what it means. The strength doesn't come from how forcefully it's presented but from the invulnerability to harm.

Of course, I understand what you mean, though.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Ideally, yes, the strongest argument is the most logical. But that isn't always the one that prevails.