Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
The beautiful crashing surf and serene blue sky seemed to say, Life is simple; enjoy it. But both he and I knew that as true as this might appear on a seaside trail on a post-Christmas day in Hawaii, the trail ahead was going to be hard.

- from Play NIce but Win by Michael Dell.

-> In the second sentence, what does "this" refer? I don't understand the meaning of the second sentence. can anyone rephrase the sentence for a non natuve speaker?

Thank you in advance.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The beautiful crashing surf and serene blue sky seemed to say, Life is simple; enjoy it. But both he and I knew that, as true as this might appear on a seaside trail on a post-Christmas day in Hawaii, the trail ahead was going to be hard.

- from Play Nice but Win by Michael Dell. (Put book titles in italics.)

->There is no need for this symbol here.

In the second sentence, what does "this" refer to? I don't understand the meaning of the second sentence. Can anyone rephrase the sentence for a non-native speaker?

Thank you in advance. Unnecessary. Thank us after we help you, by clicking on the "Thank" icon.

Please note my corrections and comments above. I have added a comma in the quote - does it help your understanding?

zeonis

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
this refers to "Life is simple; enjoy it."
Then, the meaning of the sentence is " 'Life is simple; enjoy it' might appear true on a seaside trail on a post-Chrismas day in Hawaii"?

Status
Not open for further replies.