..."banned all imports for made in Turkey products"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rollercoaster1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
That link requires me to pay to read the article.

How come? I didn't pay anything when I read it.

Below is the extraction from the article.

October 12, 2020 4:00 am by Laura Pitel in Ankara, Simeon Kerr in Dubai, Patricia Nilsson and Andrew England in London
A de facto Saudi ban on Turkish goods has hit global fashion brands in the latest sign of the escalating rivalry between the regional powers.

Saudi Arabia has “banned all imports for made in Turkey products”, an employee at clothing group Mango told Turkish suppliers in an email seen by the Financial Times.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Below is [STRIKE]the extraction[/STRIKE] an extract from the article.

Saudi Arabia has “banned all imports for made in Turkey products”, an employee at clothing group Mango told Turkish suppliers in an email seen by the Financial Times.
Note that I marked the quoted text by setting it in italics.
Does the writer want to say 'All made-in-Turkey products' import'?
The hyphens are correct and necessary, but the possessive doesn't work. You could say "Saudi Arabia has banned all imports of made-in-Turkey products.” A more natural way to phrase the idea is "Saudi Arabia has banned all imports of products made in Turkey" or simply "of Turkish products."

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The writer is simply quoting part of the email by the Mango employee. The language used in that quote is awful, so don't worry about it.

As GoesStation says, it should be "... banned all imports of products made in Turkey".

Status
Not open for further replies.