becoming the first European to lead an expedition to have seen or reached the Pacific

Status
Not open for further replies.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Vasco Núñez de Balboa (Spanish pronunciation: [ˈbasko ˈnuɲeθ ðe βalˈβo.a]; c. 1475 – around January 12–21, 1519) was a Spanish explorer, governor, and conquistador. He is best known for having crossed the Isthmus of Panama to the Pacific Ocean in 1513, becoming the first European to lead an expedition to have seen or reached the Pacific from the New World.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasco_Núñez_de_Balboa
----
For the red parts I assume that the writer is trying to say Vasco Núñez de Balboa has done something, so the perfect aspect (to have done) is used. However, I think the sentences could simply be "for crossing" and "to see and reach", and still have the same meaning as the originals. If so, the simpler structures (for crossing and to see and reach) would be better.

What do you think?

[Edit: Changed "as the original" to "as the originals".]

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have thought about it some, and I have decided I like your versions better than the original ones.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
They work, but I don't see anything wrong with the originals. The forms used work in the context of history as they give the idea of completion, and maybe give an idea of the achievement.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.