Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
Yes but I am getting the same answer, no conflict but I didn't get an answer that pointing on the difference.

Just want to know if the word usual - a word that reflects constant can be used in the present progressive. If yes, it creates a conflicts. How a word of constant can be used in a tense of temporary?

Thanks.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Do you mean something like 'He is being generous, as usual'?

captain1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
I do. what you wrote here is a sentence of the present progressive+the word usual. If it "always" happens, why not to use the sentence: He is generous? and that's it.
Thanks.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think you are confusing "usual" with "constant". "Usual" can mean happens repeatedly under the right circumstances.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
If it "always" happens, why not to use the sentence: He is generous? and that's it.
Because the speaker wants to convey two meanings: he is being generous, and he is usually generous.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Actually, it is he is being "overly generous". This is not a constant state for him.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I wouldn't put much stock in a German dictionary. But one can use "usually" with the present simple. If one does something intermittently and always gets the same result it is not constant.

captain1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
OK, now I understand.

In conclusion,"Is being" points about something that is happening now and at the same time has a limitation of being temporary?

Thanks.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes. Finally!

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Captain:

If I understand your basic question, you want to understand the difference of meaning of the word "always" (or similar adverbs) when it is used in the present tense and when it is used in the present progressive.

I have found some information that may interest you.

1. "They always play chess."

a. This sentence needs more context.

i. For example: "They always play chess on Friday evenings."

(a) It means "on all occasions."

[Only my opinion: I guess that means something like: "No, they won't be free next Friday evening. They always play chess on Friday evenings."]

2. "They are always playing chess."

a. This sentence does not need more context.
b. It implies that "at any time [that] you care to mention they will be engaged in playing chess."
c. Of course, this is "hyberbole" or overstatement. [Only my opinion: That sentence is absurd, for no one can spend 24 hours a day playing chess!]
d. Because of the hyberbole, the speaker is probably voicing some disapproval of their behavior.

Authority: Rodney Huddleston, Introduction to the Grammar of English (1984), page 156.

3. "The adverbs always (in the sense of 'frequently') [my emphasis], constantly, continually, forever, perpetually and repeatedly can be used with progressive forms to describe continually-repeated actions." [my emphasis]

a. "She's always helping people." [Only my opinion: As you can see, this "always" is very different from the "always" in "The sun always rises in the east."] [Only my opinion: "She's always helping people" seems similar to "As always, Mr. Smith is being overly generous." That could be a compliment or even a bit of criticism, I think.]

Authority: L.G. Alexander, Longman English Grammar (1988), page 165.
Credit for the "sun" sentence goes to Otto Jespersen in his Essentials of English Grammar (1933), page 266.

Last edited:

captain1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
Thank you for giving an answer. So, if I have similar adverbs:

1) Do I need to think that the speaker wants to emphasize something or to criticize or to give a compliment? Is it always like that?
2) Let take an example: Captain is always writing questions on this website.
Automatically, Do I need to think about something that the speaker wants to emphasize?(Maybe he wants to criticize or to give a compliment). Never to think about always in the present progressive as the always of the present simple?

Thanks.

Last edited:

captain1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
How do I need to take your like?
As yes?
Can you give me an explanation?

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

First, thank you for starting this thread. In doing research, I have learned SO MUCH!

Second, I was hoping that someone would answer your question, but -- sadly -- no one has so far.

Third, my "like" = I like the fact that you raised the issue.

Fourth, I do not know the answer to your great question, which is (I believe): Is an "always" + -ing sentence always either complimentary or derogatory?

a. In other words, can "Captain is always posting questions on this website" be neutral in some contexts?

Fifth, I have not been able to find the answer.

a. I have found this sentence in a huge book written by four world-famous grammarians: "A child is always learning."

i. Those experts say that it may not be derogatory.
ii. Neither do they say that it may be complimentary.
iii. In my OPINION (without further context), it does seem to be neutral.

(a) It is simply a FACT that a child learns as s/he grows up. (I have just heard that a child usually starts
to speak at the age of three, for example.)

b. I remember hearing a sentence similar to: "Big ciities are always humming with activity." I think that it's pretty neutral.

c. I made this one up: "Many questions are always being posted at usingenglish.com." I think that's neutral, too.

P.S. I have read that some of the best brains here refuse to read long threads. Maybe if you start a new thread with one specific question (for example: "Does 'Captain is always posting questions on this website have to be either complimentary or derogatory in meaning?' "), you will get someone to answer us. The teachers are very experienced in grammar, and one moderator is a professional writer.

* Those four experts are Quirk et al. in A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language (1985 edition), page 199.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Does 'Captain is always posting questions on this website have to be either complimentary or derogatory in meaning?'
I think it could be derogatory, because I recently saw a moderator delete some questions posted by a member who had been starting threads frequently.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"Many questions are always being posted at usingenglish.com." I think that's neutral, too.
I think that's complimentary because it shows this forum is helpful to and popular among learners.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I think it could be derogatory, because I recently saw a moderator delete some questions posted by a member who had been starting threads frequently.

It could be derogatory, but it doesn't have to be. Always + present progressive usually shows some some kind of emphasis- if it didn't, we would probably just use the present simple, but it doesn't have to be negative.

Status
Not open for further replies.