Home Country
Slovak Republic
Current Location
Slovak Republic
What is its meaning?
'Before I got to walk the aisles with groceries' =
1. Before I got to walk the aisles, with groceries in my hands
2. Before I got to walk the groceries aisles

This sentence is from a blog by a University College Dublin's teacher of English:
'Before I got to walk the aisles with groceries, my most scenic route ever had taken me to what was called public baths in English with the most confusing Russian equivalent that Google Maps had next to the original name of the place of ирландские общественные бани.'

I also have a problem with 'route ever had taken me'. Can 'that' be omitted here? Should 'ever' be placed before 'had' here?
Is the entire sentence built correctly? It sound unfinished as 'route' lacks a verb.

kttlt

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
It was the most scenic route (he had ever taken) and it took him to [the rest of the sentence]. I'm pretty sure with groceries there refers to the aisles and not him carrying the groceries.

I believe the sentence is perfectly fine although I am a bit confused if the last "of" means the Russian equivalent being ирландские общественные бани (public Irish baths/saunas) or something else.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's rather odd. Is he saying grocery store aisles somehow qualify as scenic routes?

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Without reading the rest of the blog I would guess that he means that the contents of a supermarket are more interesting than the part of Dublin that he normally walks through.

Uncanny

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Slovak
Home Country
Slovak Republic
Current Location
Slovak Republic
Without reading the rest of the blog I would guess that he means that the contents of a supermarket are more interesting than the part of Dublin that he normally walks through.
Is the entire sentence built correctly? It sound unfinished as 'route' lacks a verb.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I wouldn't waste any more time on it if I were you.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
'Before I got to walk the aisles with groceries, my most scenic route ever had taken me to what was called public bath...

My most scenic route ever is the subject of the verb had taken.

Uncanny

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Slovak
Home Country
Slovak Republic
Current Location
Slovak Republic
'Before I got to walk the aisles with groceries, my most scenic route ever had taken me to what was called public bath...

My most scenic route ever is the subject of the verb had taken.
You mean, 'my most scenic route ever' is a single group?

TwelveMileCircle

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Compare: This is the best party ever!

That is, no party has ever been better than this one.

<Before I got to walk the aisles with groceries, my most scenic route ever had taken me to what was called public baths in English with the most confusing Russian equivalent that Google Maps had next to the original name of the place of ирландские общественные бани.'>

Before I had the opportunity to walk the aisles with groceries , [my most scenic route ever] had taken me to what was called 'public baths' in English...

The most scenic route the author had ever taken before walking the grocery aisles (perhaps the author is from a country where grocery shelves are often empty?) was the route to the public baths.