Interested in Language
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello everyone,

I have a couple of doubts on tense in a chapter I am working on.

Here are the passages:

1. Also during the second decade of the twentieth century, the federal income tax was instituted, allowing personal contributions to philanthropy to become tax deductible. On the heels of this major legislation came World War I. This changed philanthropy immeasurably by expanding the role of government. For example, by 1920 states began to initiate programs for needy children, the elderly, and some individuals with disabilities, such as the blind. New York offered unemployment relief. These groundbreaking events moved the nation to increased dependency upon the federal government in providing relief.

Should the verb here be had begun?

2. Before the war ended, about 15,000 societies had been established to provide soldiers and their families with aid. In 1861, ....
Additional associations formed to help escaped or freed slaves, but this job became too difficult and complex, and the U.S. government stepped in. This is an early and fine illustration of how the nonprofit sector in the United States provided the initial steps for the resolution of a social problem, which is then carried out and maintained by government.

Should the sentence in the second passage be thus: Additional associations were formed to help escaped or freed slaves, but this job became too difficult and complex, and the U.S. government had to step in.

As always, I would appreciate your help.

(I hope it is OK to post 2 doubts in one thread. I am very new to the forum!)

Thank you!

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
1. use "had" begun".
2. either would work.

LaMelange

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Mr. bhaisahab, I don't understand the second one.

Just as "15,000 societies had been established", shouldn't "Additional associations formed" be "Additional associations were formed"?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Not necessarily. We often talk about associations forming.

Status
Not open for further replies.