Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Variations on "way to go" are pretty common these days. You can read it (in this example) as him sarcastically saying "Yeah! Well done on such great research". He is suggesting that Khachanov is wrong to say that he (Kyrgios) just plays video games all day and that, if he had done his research better, he would have discovered that Kyrgios does a lot of charity work.

"Pelican" here is used as a derogatory term. Even though it's not a common use (in BrE, at least), it's clear from the tone and from the preceding words "you absolute" that it's meant rudely.
There's a British stand-up comedian, whose name I can't recall right now, who did a whole sketch once about how you can put just about any noun after "you absolute" and it comes across as an insult. For example:
You absolute plughole.
You absolute crocodile.
You absolute telephone.

The speaker's tone of voice and the content of the rest of what they're saying would make it clear that it's an insult, regardless of the noun.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I think he mistyped what he wanted to say, probably due to the emotions involved. I suspect he wanted to write something like "But way to go. Do your research you absolute pelican".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think he mistyped what he wanted to say, probably due to the emotions involved. I suspect he wanted to write something like "But way to go. Do your research you absolute pelican".
I have to disagree there. I don't think he mistyped anything. I've heard multiple variations on "Way to go", in which "go" is replaced by a different verb.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I have to disagree there. I don't think he mistyped anything. I've heard multiple variations on "Way to go", in which "go" is replaced by a different verb.
I disagree. If what you're saying is right, then where is the verb after the "way to + go/do/whatever"? I mean "way to go" (or any variant of it) is an exclamatory phrase. It does not obviate the need for a verb in the sentence.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I mean the phrase it "Way to go" is the set phrase.
Even if we concede that "do" may substitute for "go" (which I have not encountered before, and so I don't agree with), a verb is still needed in the sentence that follows.
In your analysis, "way to" becomes the (variant) set phrase. Is that what you're saying?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Which means ... the OP was meant to be: "But way to. Do your research, you absolute pelican".
Is that what you're saying?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's just sarcasm. A mock cheer.

Someone trips: "hey, way to walk!"

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Which means ... the OP was meant to be: "But way to. Do your research, you absolute pelican".
Is that what you're saying?

No. I think we've misunderstood each other. The pattern is 'way to + verb phrase'.

Here are some examples I've made up:

Hey, way to make a girl feel loved!
Way to ruin the moment, idiot!

The original sentence effectively means something like 'Great job at doing your research, you pelican!', meant sarcastically, of course.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I must say that I haven't come across that one before. I wonder if it started life as (and at some point split off from) "What a way to" +V, which is standard across the different varieties of English?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I wonder if it started life as (and at some point split off from) "What a way to" +V, which is standard across the different varieties of English?

I imagine it came about as a development of the simpler fixed phrase that you've mentioned, Way to go!, where the fixed word go is replaced and extended into a longer verb phrase. As SoothingDave says, it's a mock cheer, specifying the thing that the addressee has done wrong. It isn't always meant sarcastically like this, but it very often is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.