Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
There is an Irish/Scottish folk song named "Will Ye Go Lassie Go" (lyrics is here) I like very much, but I have a place I don't quite understand in it. What does the word "fountain" mean in the context?

I will build my love a bower
By yon pure crystal fountain
And around it I will pile
All the flowers of the mountain.

The dictionaries I looked up the word in suggest that a fountain is an artificial structure. But could it be a natural fountain? For some reason I've pictured in my head a place somewhere outside urban area. Maybe that's because I don't remember seeing thyme in towns or villages, or maybe partially because they sing about "wild mountain thyme"... Anyways... What do you think of the nature of that fountain?

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Yes, it's a natural fountain. In the wild mountains of Scotland.

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Thanks, Frank. Then I have to ask another question. Should the water in a fountain necessarily move upwards? I've just looked at some pictures google suggested and found waterfalls there as well. How would you describe that fountain from the song?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I have a vague image of a beautiful little mountain spring in mind. A source of pure water coming from the Earth, perhaps pouring into a little stream.

What a lovely song, by the way. I listened just once but now the melody is truly stuck in my head.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I thought of a mountain spring too.

Status
Not open for further replies.