Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
1. Does it really mean that he lived in a real castle or a big house as a metaphor?
California castle
2. Does this mean that "he had to have one radio or several radios"?
tune radio receivers to the various stations
4p)In 1925, when the newspaper
magnate William Randolph Hearst moved into his California castle, San Simeon, he wanted the best in modern technology. Back then it was awkward and time-consuming to tune radio receivers to the various stations, so Hearst had several radios installed in the basement of San Simeon, each tuned to a different station. The speaker wires ran to Hearst’s private suite on the third floor, where they were routed into a fifteenth-century oak cabinet. At the push of a button, Hearst could listen to the station of his choice. Such ease of selection was a marvel in his day. Today it’s a standard feature on every car radio.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
not a teacher

Hearst lived in a real castle.
http://hearstcastle.org/history-behind-hearst-castle/

As I understand it, rather than go through the process of re-tuning a single radio to each station as you required it, Hearst had many radios that were each tuned permanently to a single station.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

I think it would be more accurate to say that Hearst lived in a 20th century mansion called Hearst Castle.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
not a teacher

I think it would be more accurate to say that Hearst lived in a 20th century mansion called Hearst Castle.

I did wonder about that. However Collins, Oxford online, and others, do allow a large, stately, magnificent, imposing etc mansion. Admittedly they seem to prefer some sort of connection to nobility, but it doesn't appear mandatory. On reflection, I incline towards your view, Roman.

Status
Not open for further replies.