Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Australia
I've got a question concerning a car insurance. It might be half-linguistic, half situational/ policy-related, I'm not sure, but perhaps some of you could provide some insight.

Say you're contacting a company to insure your car, and they ask you all kinds of questions about your driving record, insurance and criminal history.
They also say they "will use the answers in deciding whether to insure me and anyone else to be insured under the policy, and on what terms," adding that, "I do not need to tell them anything which reduces the chances of making a claim, or which they should know about because of the business they are in or they tell me they do not want to know."

What puzzles me is the part in bold. Isn't it exactly what they should be after? Don't they want to know whether I've written off any cars in recent years, had any accidents, fines etc? Or is it something else they mean?

I think it means that the onus is on them to ask the right questions and you are not obliged to volunteer any information. You obligation is to answer their questions truthfully. Their job is to find out anything they should know because of the business they're in- which they will.

I think it means that the onus is on them to ask the right questions and you are not obliged to volunteer any information. You obligation is to answer their questions truthfully. Their job is to find out anything they should know because of the business they're in- which they will.

Why don't they just make it as short and clear as you just have. ;) Thanks

They're more likely to be sued if they phrase it incorrectly. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back