Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Hello, I learned that cleft sentences can be used to add emphasis. I would like to know if in the following sentences it is used: You're the one who's always telling me to stop.
Thanks in advance!
Marcela

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Your sentence is grammatical, yes, but we can't see if you're using it properly because you haven't given us enough context.

Phaedrus

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello, I learned that cleft sentences can be used to add emphasis. I would like to know if in the following sentences it is used: You're the one who's always telling me to stop.
It's interesting that you're calling You're the one who's always telling me to stop a cleft sentence.

Assuming the non-cleft sentence to which the cleft sentence relates is You're always telling me to stop, the normal cleft sentence would be:

It is you who are always telling me to stop.

MarcelaCarpinelli

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Thank you for answering!
I am making a language analysis (MPF) of "the one who's" in the sentence:
You're the one who's always telling me to stop.
The context is a person's reaction to a story in the news. It is a lesson about adding emphasis, and it says that this "the one who's" emphasizes the person. I'm lost! What kind of form is it, then?
Thank you again!

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you for answering!
I am making a language analysis (MPF) of "the one who's" in the sentence:
You're the one who's always telling me to stop.
The context is a person's reaction to a story in the news. It is a lesson about adding emphasis, and it says that this "the one who's" emphasizes the person. I'm lost! What kind of form is it, then?
Thank you again!
Although the phrase "the one who" is often emphatic, emphasis is not its main purpose. It has particular uses.

So if you tell us more about the situation, we can tell you whether you're using it properly.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I am making a language analysis (MPF)

I see. So is this part of a TEFL course assignment? Is it due to be assessed? We shouldn't really be helping you, you know. Not by directly giving you the answer, at least.

Here's a clue: What grammar point does the word who elicit in your mind? What word class does it belong to?

Status
Not open for further replies.