Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I want to compare a marriage with a city and express the idea that they are similar in some ways.

Is this correct and natural?

Jane looked out the window at the shining city. In a way, Monaco mirrored her marriage. It looked glitzy and glamorous from the outside, but inside it was flat and passionless. People who didn't live in Monaco were jealous of those who lived there, much like Jane's friends were jealous of her marriage. For Jane, life couldn't be more boring. She just floated along the flatness of her marriage and the city.

What other verbs can I use instead of "mirror"? Generally, are there other ways I can express the idea?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Stick with "mirrored." You're there!

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Stick with "mirrored." You're there!

Thank you. Do I also have other options instead of mirror? I want to know.

Is the rest of the paragraph okay? I know you would've said something if there were problems, but I thought maybe you only focused on that mirror part.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, there weren't any problems. It's fine.

There are countless ways to express your idea. Monaco is their marriage writ large. Their marriage is a mini-Monaco. Just as Monaco is glitzy and shallow, so is their marriage. She sees their marriage reflected in her marriage. She sees her marriage reflected in Monaco. . . .

We try not to do people's writing for them. Your ideas are usually the right ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.