Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Brunei
Current Location
Australia
Hello.
I know that these two sentences "I don't have any problems." and "I don't have any problem with the current system." are grammatical.
Do we apply the same principle with other words such as concern, doubt, and issue?

a) I don't have any concerns.
b) I don't have any concern with the current system.
c) I don't have any doubts.
d) I don't have any doubt about the current system.
e) I don't have any issues.
f) I don't have any issue with the current system.

Source : Yours truly.
Reason : I want to know if these words, "concern", "issue", and "doubt" have the same grammar rule as "problem" in this sentence structure if they are to be uttered in a conversation or written in an e-mail.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Ugh! I'll give my own view on this.

When you say I don't have any problem, I'll argue you're using problem as an uncountable noun. (You also sometimes hear things like I have little problem with ... and I don't have much problem with ...) I don't particularly like this usage but it is common and natural.

The nouns doubt and concern are much more readily used uncountably, so few would object to using those in the uncountable way you have. (After concern, use about, not with, by the way).

The noun issue is closer to problem, in my opinion, in that it's not very comfortably used as an uncountable noun, though it is clearly permissible in such phrases as take issue with something. Still, I don't like it.

Remember that there is always difference between using singular and plural nouns. The phrases have doubt about something and have doubts about something are not identical in use or meaning, so which form to use would depend on the context, and on what you mean (i.e., sentence d). As far as your example sentences go, I can't see why you'd prefer to use singular concern and issue in b and f over the plural concerns and issues.

canadalynx

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Brunei
Current Location
Australia
Remember that there is always difference between using singular and plural nouns. The phrases have doubt about something and have doubts about something are not identical in use or meaning, so which form to use would depend on the context, and on what you mean (i.e., sentence d).

Would you mind elaborating on the difference between "Have doubt about something" and "Have doubts about something" based on your previous post?
Does it have something to do with suspicion, disagreement or disapproval?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Would you mind elaborating on the difference between "Have doubt about something" and "Have doubts about something" based on your previous post?
Does it have something to do with suspicion, disagreement or disapproval?

I won't give you a comprehensive description, but I'll start you off, at least, with a couple of examples:

1) I'm having doubts about getting married.

Here, have is experiential, not possessive. The meaning is similar to 'having second thoughts'. You can't use the singular here.

2) I have no doubt that it's going to be a great success.

Here, have is possessive. This is essentially a statement of confidence in one's prediction. You can't use the plural here.

Perhaps you could do a bit of corpus research for yourself to try to find further useful examples.

Status
Not open for further replies.