Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Please have a look at a short dialogue taken from "Cambridge Grammar of English" by Ronal Carter and Michael McCarthy

"- I bet they've paid her for Sunday not paid her for the Bank Holiday, Friday and Monday. Cos that would make your nine hours wouldn't it.
- Yeah. Cos she's got the Saturday down the same as I did cos we all did the Saturday."

What does "would make your..." mean in this context? " She's got the Saturday" - does it mean that she has been paid for Saturday? "We all did the Saturday" - we were paid for it? Thank you.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Please have a look at a short dialogue taken from "Cambridge Grammar of English" by Ronald Carter and Michael McCarthy.

"- I bet they've paid her for Sunday not paid her for the Bank Holiday, Friday and Monday. Cos that would make your nine hours wouldn't it.
Some comments:
1- I would expect something between "Sunday" and "not", such as "but", "and" or even a comma.
2- While it's common in colloquial speech, "cos" is no good in writing, and since this is allegedly a grammar book, I am surprised it's modelling such sentences.
3- I would also expect the last sentence to end in a question mark, not a full stop.
- Yeah. Cos she's got the Saturday down the same as I did cos we all did the Saturday."
What does "would make your..." mean in this context? " She's got the Saturday" - does it mean that she has been paid for Saturday? "We all did the Saturday" - we were paid for it? Thank you.
Some more comments:
4- Yet another "cos", unfortunately. See above.
5- "would make" = "would add up to".
6- I take "got the Saturday down" to mean "has filled in the hours (she worked) for Saturday on the time sheet".

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Please have a look at a short dialogue taken from "Cambridge Grammar of English" by Ronal Carter and Michael McCarthy

In what context do the authors quote this error-strewn text? Are you supposed to correct it?

svetlana14

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
In what context do the authors quote this error-strewn text? Are you supposed to correct i
The title of the Book's section is Spoken English, the title of the subsection is Real time communication. They authors give the example of real-time communication, noting that speakers normally do not construct over-eleborate patterns. I do not need to correct it.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
The title of the Book's that section of the book is Spoken English, and the title of the subsection is Real-Time Communication. They The authors give the examples of real-time communication, noting that speakers normally do not construct over-elaborate patterns. I do not need to correct it.
Even so, they could have picked far better examples. That one above is pretty bad. By the way, if you're after authentic examples of real English communication, why not watch TV series? That way, you also get to hear (and see) people using the language in relevant contexts.

Status
Not open for further replies.