Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hello,

*self-made*

- Could everybody park here?

Is it OK to use 'could' when we talk about things which are (or are not) allowed by rules, laws?

Thank you!

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I don't think the speaker of your sentence is asking permission.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you're asking whether something is or isn't allowed by law, I suggest "Are people allowed to park here?" or "Is parking allowed here?"

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Ademoglu:

After reading Matthew Wai's post #6, I now think (think!) that I understand your question in post #3.

James: Why is this big piece of land empty?
Mona: It used to be a big parking lot until last year. Now it is empty, for they are planning to build a big skyscraper here.
James: Could everybody park here when it was a parking lot?
Mona: No. There were only 500 parking spaces, but there were 1,000 employees at that time. So the other 500 were not able to park here.

As you can see, "could" here is really referring to the past.

As Mr. Wai reminded us, "Could I park here?" is referring to the present, for "could" is NOT referring to the past. For some reason, native speakers feel that the past form of modals is more courteous or softer:

"Hey! Can I sit here?"

"Excuse me. Could I sit here, please?"

Eckaslike

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Wales
For some reason, native speakers feel that the past form of modals is more courteous or softer:

"Hey! Can I sit here?"

"Excuse me. Could I sit here, please?"

TheParser, this is my understanding of another one of those rules we had drummed into us at school (BrE).

My understanding is that in this context "Could I" is simply another present tense replacement for "May I".

The logic for using "Could I" instead of "Can I", was always explained that "Can I sit here?" taken literally can mean, "Am I [physically] able to sit down?", to which the sarcastic response was sometimes made "I don't know can you?" [i.e. "Are you physically capable of sitting down?"].

"Could I sit here, please?" is therefore seen as a more courteous present tense request for permission to sit down.

Eckaslike

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Wales
Yes I agree Piscean,

I think we were taught what I wrote, from an early age as young children, probably to give us a simple reason to grasp as to why we shouldn't use "Can I?" in certain situations. That has probably stuck with me the longest as I haven't had a reason, until now, to explain or discuss it with anyone for around 40 years.

Now that you have reminded me of the distancing rule I do remember it.

But, even if I had remembered it, I doubt I could have expressed in with such clarity! Thank you. :lol:

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The OP might have seen something like 'Could you please give example sentences?' on this forum, which refers to the present.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.