Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
My friends David told me he's a PhD and he also mentioned that he got a few PhD degrees. He told me that a few years ago. Last night when I was chatting with ABC online and I mentioned that David had got some PhDs and ABC said he really admires people who got some PhDs, then EFG said David might be b*llsh*tting. Then I sent David a link of the discussion and said "Could you please clarify things here"? The intended meaning is "You might go to the link and tell them how many PhDs you've got and make it clear".

Is the italic sentence natural?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
My friends David
Come on, Silver. You know better than that! Please edit post #1 to fix that error. While you're there, please give "ABC" a proper name. While you're at it, you should have a look at the sentence starting "Last night" - look at the number of connecting "and"s. See if you can at least shorten the sentence or break it into two.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Come on, Silver. You know better than that! Please edit post #1 to fix that error. While you're there, please give "ABC" a proper name. While you're at it, you should have a look at the sentence starting "Last night" - look at the number of connecting "and"s. See if you can at least shorten the sentence or break it into two.
Oops. You always make me a better person, emsr2d2. I won't change the errors in the OP but here because readers will read my thread and they might want to know the mistakes. :) New version:

My friend David told me he's a PhD and he also mentioned that he got a few PhD degrees. He told me that a few years ago. And last night when I was chatting with Glen online, I mentioned that David had gotten some PhD degrees and then another friend Rox said he really admires people who got some PhD degrees. Glen said "David might be b*llsh*tting" after listening to what Rox said. I sent David a link of the discussion and said to David "Could you please clarify things here"? The intended meaning is "David, you might go to the discussion on that website and tell them that how many PhD degrees you have; to clarify things".

Is the italic sentence natural?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's natural enough I guess. However, it's unusual for a person to have one PhD, much less two or more. (See below.)

Sam: I've heard you have a PhD in economics.
Bob: Yes, I do. I also have a PhD in physics.
Sam: Wow! I'm very impressed.

It wouldn't take long to say what those degrees are in. In fact, I'm curious about that myself.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Your sentence sounds good, Silver. Of course, we can't say how well it works since you haven't given us any context, but it sounds natural.

So was David bullshitting? Does he really have two PhDs?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
A few years ago, my friend David told me he's a PhD and he also mentioned that he got has a few PhDs. degrees. He told me that a few years ago. And Last night, when I was chatting with my friends Glen and Rox online, I mentioned that David had gotten some several PhDs degrees. and then another friend Rox said he really admires people who got some have PhDs. degrees. After hearing that, Glen said "David might be b*llsh*tting". after listening to what Rox said. I sent David a link of to the discussion and said to David him "Could you please clarify things here?"
The intended meaning is "David, you might go to the discussion on that website can you join that discussion and tell them that how many PhDs degrees you have?" to clarify things".
See above. In BrE, at least, it suffices to say "PhD". You don't have to keep saying "degree".
I don't really see how your solution helps. David can enter the discussion and say "Yeah, I've got 3 PhDs". That doesn't prove anything. Glen could still assume he was lying!

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Your sentence sounds good, Silver. Of course, we can't say how well it works since you haven't given us any context, but it sounds natural.
He taught GRE and GMAT in one of the best schools here. I didn’t know he has PhDs. He mentioned that. Actually I’ve seen talked with many native speakers here in China, I think he’s really knowledgeable and pay close attention to grammar, English words, etc, when using English. However, others don’t.
So was David bullshitting? Does he really have two PhDs?
He wasn’t. He has two.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
He taught GRE and GMAT in one of the best schools here. I didn’t know he has PhDs. He mentioned that. Actually I’ve seen talked with many native speakers here in China, I think he’s really knowledgeable and payS close attention to grammar, English words, etc, when using English. However, others don’t.

He wasn’t. He has two.
I'm not sure what you mean by "English words".

If he has two PhDs he has surely said what they are in. It would be the most natural thing in the world. It wouldn't even be considered bragging. Indeed, it's almost automatic.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Actually I’ve seen talked with many native speakers here in China; I think he’s really knowledgeable and that he pays close attention to grammar, English words, etc, when using English.
Note my corrections above. The underlined part makes no sense and I don't know what you're trying to say. Try again.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Note my corrections above. The underlined part makes no sense and I don't know what you're trying to say. Try again.
Actually I've talked with many native speakers in China; I think he's really knowledgeable and that he pays close attention to grammar. He also use English words and phrases in his expressions correctly and naturally. :)

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Multiple doctorates are certainly possible. I know of several people who have both MD and PhD degrees. But two PhD's is highly unlikely for at least two reasons. The first is that it would be very difficult to achieve. For each PhD you'd have to find a professor who agreed that your proposed research and dissertation were sufficiently worthwhile for them to invest their time and energy in supervising your research work. And secondly, it would likely be of little or no benefit to you. A second PhD would likely improve neither your pay nor your chance of further professional advancement.

Last edited by a moderator: