Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Original sentence:
It is as yet unclear whether a new sports centre is being planned or not.

My task was to complete the following structure with 3 to 8 words while retaining the meaning of the original sentence. The given word was seen. And the structure to complete was:

It (fill in 3 to 8 words) are any plans for a new sports centre or not.

I completed the above as follows:

It cannot be seen yet whether there are any plans for a new sports centre or not.

My question is, do the original and my sentence have the same meaning? The solution in answer key is:

It remains to be seen whether there are any plans for a new sports centre or not.

Your version is not wrong, but the solution is far more natural.

Original sentence:
It is as yet unclear whether a new sports centre is being planned or not.

My task was to complete the following structure with 3 to 8 words while retaining the meaning of the original sentence. The given word was seen. And the structure to complete was:

It (fill in 3 to 8 words) are any plans for a new sports centre or not.

I completed the above as follows:

It cannot be seen yet whether there are any plans for a new sports centre or not.

My question is, do the original and my sentence have the same meaning? The solution in answer key is:

It remains to be seen whether there are any plans for a new sports centre or not.

Your sentence is unnatural. I can't imagine any native speaker ever saying or writing it. Having said that, IMO it carries the same meaning.

Is there any way that I could make it sound natural by only repositioning the "yet"? For instance:

It cannot yet be seen whether there are any plans for a new sports centre or not.

Is there any way that I could make it sound natural by only repositioning the "yet"? For instance:

It cannot yet be seen whether there are any plans for a new sports centre or not.
Once again I have, sadly, to say: your version is not wrong, but the solution is far more natural.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back