Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
That’s why a number of beauty spots and historic sites have been introducing charges or restrictions on the tourists who visit. There are many reasons for this: to reduce overcrowding, which can spoil the ambience of a place, to manage wear and tear on old crumbling buildings, to tidy up the mess that visitors leave behind, or – as some may suggest – creating tourist traps to make more money out of the visitors.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/learningenglish/chinese/features/take-away-english/ep-190826

Does it mean that "creating tourist traps" is one of the reasons for charges or restrictions according to the text above?

Thanks for your help!

Jason

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
That's what it seems to be saying, but it doesn't make much sense.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, the cynical view expressed after "as some may suggest" is that if you limit the number of people who can visit a place, or charge them for entry, it makes people think there must be something interesting there so more tourists will go.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, it does.

It doesn't really make sense, does it? The places where they're restricting admission are already tourist traps. That's the problem they want to solve, not what they want to create.

It's poorly written in general. For instance, did you notice that the construction is not parallel?: to reduce / to tidy up / creating. (Do you know what the writer should have used instead of creating?)

And "to make more money out of the visitors" mixes up idioms.

(Cross-post.)

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
After reading emsr2d2's explanation in post #3, I see now that it should say something like:

... or - as some may suggest - to prevent creating tourist traps ...

That's a pretty bad omission, I'd say.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I was suggesting that it's a cynical viewpoint - the reason for bringing in restrictions and fees is specifically to create a tourist trap. Those tourists who previously went there for free now have to pay for the privilege. They are "trapped" - if they want to see it, they have get their wallets out.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
After reading emsr2d2's explanation in post #3, I see now that it should say something like:

... or - as some may suggest - to prevent creating tourist traps ...

That's a pretty bad omission, I'd say.
Yup!

Here in Maine, they're putting restrictions on Acadia National Park because it's already overcrowded. So they're not preventing anything. They're reducing congestion.

I imagine it's the same story in the article's other examples.

Status
Not open for further replies.