Home Country
Afghanistan
Current Location
Afghanistan
1. Cut the bread into three.

2. Cut the bread into three pieces.

Are both sentences correct?

What's your context?

They both sound unnatural to me, though grammatical.

I don't find the sentences unnatural. We can cut anything into a certain number of pieces.

I don't think I have ever been asked to cut bread into three (pieces).

It would certainly be unusual with a standard loaf of bread, which we tend to cut into slices. However, something like a focaccia could be divided between three people by giving them a whole piece each. Most people would tear the bread in that situation rather than cut/slice it.

They both sound unnatural to me, though grammatical.

When you say 'unnatural', are you talking about the language itself? Or do you mean that cutting a piece of bread into three is an unnatural thing to do?

Yes, I meant cutting a piece of bread, not the language. I immediately thought of a slice of regular sandwich bread, and it's possible the OP may have been thinking of something else.

The first is the one I'd use.

@Talab1234 - Please clarify - when you said "bread", did you mean "a slice of bread" or "a loaf of bread"?

Or flatbread, not Western style bread?

@Talab1234, please respond to the above requests so we don't have to guess what you mean.

A big loaf of bread to be cut into pieces

I mean a big loaf of bread to be cut into pieces.
As the others have said, it's unusual to cut a large loaf into just three pieces but if that's what you want the listener to do, then that's what you should say. However, to avoid any confusion, I would say "Cut the loaf into three". You'll also need to make it clear if you want the three pieces to be of equal size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back