Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
One day has only 24 hrs. So "Day one of X is underway" sounds pretentious and ridiculously pompous to me. But I've probably understood the sentence in a wrong way.

What does "Day one of IAC is underway" mean?

Plus, does "rise and shine" mean "IAC rises and shines"?

==================
NASA tweeted 1h ago:
Rise and shine! Day one of the International Astronautical Congress is underway. Tune in to #IAC2020 to hear from:

@CNSA_en

@csa_asc

@roscosmos

@ISRO

@ESA

@JAXA_en

@NASA

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
One day has only 24 hrs. So "Day one of X is underway" sounds pretentious and ridiculously pompous to me.
Stop finding meaning that isn't there. "Day one" means "the first day". The number of hours in a day is irrelevant.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Get up and be active! The first day of X gets started and is ongoing!
It sounds meaningful now.

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I think it's NASA's way of saying "May I have your attention, please?" or "Listen up, everyone!"

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I imagine that the writer used Rise and Shine! because he/she was posting the tweet in the morning.

Day one is underway means 'the first day has started'.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Numbering the days is also common in sports tournaments that go on for more than one day. For example, the four tennis Grand Slams each last for two weeks. The order of play (or schedule of play) gives both "Day + number" and then the date. It's perfectly normal and not pretentious at all. For me, "Play has started on day one of the Wimbledon championships" is one of the most pleasing statements I hear every year (sadly, not this year).

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
For me, "Play has started on day one of the Wimbledon championships" is one of the most pleasing statements I hear every year (sadly, not this year).

It sounds perfect to me too. Because things always get started step by step. Great leap is a hoax.

But "Day one is underway" is different and it still sounds pompous and pretentious because it is usually "the big or long-term project is underway" - by being underway, it describes an overall picture rather than specific details. "One day" is near a specific detail and calling a detail to be underway is odd.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It sounds perfect to me too. Because things always get started step by step. Great leap is a hoax. ( I don't know what you're trying to say here with 'great leap is a hoax)

But "Day one is underway" is different and it still sounds pompous and pretentious (No it doesn't) because it is usually "the big or long-term project is underway" (usually what? says who?) - by being underway, it describes an overall picture rather than specific details. "One day" is near a specific detail (??- what does this mean) and calling a detail to be underway is odd. (Again, you've lost me, partially because of grammatical issues and partially because of convoluted logic, but I'm fairly sure I disagree with you. Also, 'day one' is not the same as 'one day'.)

No, it is neither odd, nor pretentious. Why do you insist on arguing with native speakers about meaning? If you interpret it differently, that is your error, not ours as native speakers. We're not going to re-define our understanding of our language to your standards. Do you understand how vexing it is to suggest otherwise?

Rather than arguing with native speakers about meaning, perhaps your time would be better spent perfecting your own comprehensibility.

Let me be the third native speaker to state point-blank that "Day one of X" is neither pompous or pretentious.

You might hear "Day X of Y" with both X and Y as numbers, or with Y as a noun or noun phrase (the multi-day event).
"We're now on day seven of eight of the International Semantics Council's biannual nitpicking conference."
"Welcome to day two of the Council of Arbitrary Meaning's new member indoctrination workshop."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm actually starting to wonder if you really understand what "pompous" and "pretentious" mean. It's very unlikely that such a standard, simple, four-word sentence such as "Day one is underway" could sound/be either.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I'm actually starting to wonder if you really understand what "pompous" and "pretentious" mean. It's very unlikely that such a standard, simple, four-word sentence such as "Day one is underway" could sound/be either.

Two definitions I adopted then:

pompous
adjective disapproving
UK /ˈpɒm.pəs/ US /ˈpɑːm.pəs/
too serious and full of importance:He can sometimes sound a little pompous when he talks about acting.

pretentious
adjective disapproving
UK /prɪˈten.ʃəs/ US /prɪˈten.ʃəs/
trying to appear or sound more important or clever than you are, especially in matters of art and literature:
a pretentious art critic
(Cambridge Dictionary).

I think the true problem of the thread is stemed from or rooted in the misunderstanding of "Rise and shine!", which sounds as if a great empire will rise and shine (and here the "empire" is the International Astronautical Congress ). I believe that now you've got a clue why the question of this thread was linked to "pompous" and "pretentious".

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
No, it doesn't. My wife sometimes brings me my morning gin in bed with a cheerful 'Rise and shine'. I haven't met anybody who would think of me as a great empire.

Has anyone asked you "Are you willing to be the King of England?" Be it jokingly or seriously? Mr. Bean's movies had the similar scene. It is a good material for artistic creations: A great king rise and shine.

Not everyone is willing to be king because he would have to be restricted by the principles of kingship.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I've no idea what that's supposed to mean.:-?

People in confusion and darkness desperately need a leadership to point them the right direction. A great king, like David of ancient Isreal, is summoned by fate to rise and shine like a bright star.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
This sounds to me as if the mythical king was urged to get out of bed and be cheerful and active.

That is okay. It makes clear the true meaning of the phrase "rise and shine" in reality. It tells me that understanding a phrase should follow its practcal use and it is better not to imagine what it looks like.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I haven't met anybody who would think of me as a great empire.
Probably not. A pretty good one, maybe, but that's the farthest I'd go.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That is okay. It makes clear the true meaning of the phrase "rise and shine" in reality. It tells me that understanding a phrase should follow its practcal use and it is better not to imagine what it looks like.
Exactly. Don't look for meaning that isn't there. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.