Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
But the particles should decay regardless of the density of their distribution. “Decay just probes the whole mass within [a volume of] space,” Fornengo says. “And the mass of a void is not a small number. It’s still a big object. It’s just less dense.”

Source: World News Era

The use of the word "probe" here appears odd to me. What does it mean? When investigators search and examine something, we say "the investigators probe something". But the decay of a particle occurs, not probes.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The only way I can make sense of it is that at work his team are in the habit of using the word 'decay' to talk about the particular probing technique they use to detect decay.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hesitantly and tentatively I suggest that they are using probe as a synonym for observe or investigate. Although the particles in the voids are very widely scattered and therefore unlikely to collide, those there are nevertheless sometimes decay spontaneously and emit gamma rays when they do so. That gamma radiation is distinguishable from the cosmic background radiation and therefore provides the only means of observing or investigating (probing) the voids.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hesitantly and tentatively I suggest that they are using probe as a synonym for observe or investigate. Although the particles in the voids are very widely scattered and therefore unlikely to collide, those there are nevertheless sometimes decay spontaneously and emit gamma rays when they do so. That gamma radiation is distinguishable from the cosmic background radiation and therefore provides the only means of observing or investigating (probing) the voids.
I think "are" is not meant to be there.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
You could omit "are" without changing the meaning, but I prefer and find it more natural with "are" @tedmc. Think of it as "those (that) there are".

Reactions: 5jj
Status
Not open for further replies.