Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Which of the following sentences is better or natural? Please help me correct the errors. Thanks!

1. Isn’t it hard to find a parking space in such a densely populated city like Kyoto?
2. Tokyo is a small city with high population density. Isn’t it hard to find a parking space?
3. With such a large population living in a small city like Tokyo, isn’t it hard to find a parking space?

I would replace 'like' with 'as' in #1

I would replace 'like' with 'as' in #1

Wouldn't your comment apply to #3 as well?

I think it is odd to say "Tokyo is a small city".

The writer is clearly saying that Tokyo is a small city. Whether it is or not is not the question.

You could replace 'like' in #3 with 'such as' but just 'as' doesn't work for me.

The writer is clearly saying that Tokyo is a small city. Whether it is or not is not the question.

You could replace 'like' in #3 with 'such as' but just 'as' doesn't work for me.

Why is that "as" works in #1 but not in #3?

In #1 we have, 'such a densely populated city [like] as Kyoto'. 'Such as' refers to the city.

In #3 we have, 'such a large population living in a small city like Tokyo'. 'Such' refers to the population.

"Crowded" seems more natural than "densely populated."

Small​ is ambiguous in "small city"; it can refer to the geographic extent or the population. You should find a different way to describe Tokyo's size.

You would have to specify "geographically small" or some such. Even then, I would question that. The city itself is 845 square miles.

To me, a "small city" would be less than 10,000 people.

To me, 10,000 people do not a city make. We call that a town.

It's different in the USA: Everglades City, Florida, has a population of 400.

It's different in the USA: Everglades City, Florida, has a population of 400.

It varies by state. Here in Ohio, incorporated municipalities with fewer than 5000 people are villages.

As mentioned above, I rewrote the sentences as follows. Which is more acceptable?

1. Isn’t it hard to find a parking space in such a crowded city as Tokyo?
2. Tokyo is a big city with high population density. Isn’t it hard to find a parking space?
3. With such a large population living in a big city like Tokyo, isn’t it hard to find a parking space?

All three are acceptable. I prefer the first.

I think Tokyo is a populous city.

How about the following sentences?

1. Isn’t it hard to find a parking space in such a populous and crowded city as Tokyo?
2. Isn’t it hard to find a parking space in such a populous, crowded city as Tokyo?

How about the following sentences?

1. Isn’t it hard to find a parking space in such a populous and crowded city as Tokyo?
2. Isn’t it hard to find a parking space in such a populous, crowded city as Tokyo?

Those are both fine.

I think a comma followed by 'a metropolis' can be added after 'Tokyo'.

I don't think "populous" adds anything useful to the sentences. The difficulty in finding a parking spot is due to the crowding, not the absolute number of people who live there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back