Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Does "siloed" here mean "seperated/dispersed (not linked to other things)"?

====================
Benjamin notes that many health departments still share data by fax, which is more time-consuming than digital methods. A lack of funds also means that overburdened staff don't have enough time to analyse the data they have. The APHA and other scientific organizations have long called for resources to improve data surveillance in the US public-health system. In a report published last September, public-health epidemiologists described the current system as siloed, sluggish, manual and paper-based.

Source: Nature 25 AUGUST 2020
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02478-z

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Huh. I wasn't expecting this business jargon to be in a dictionary. Maybe it's older than I thought.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Online dictionaries are updated pretty regularly so the word isn't necessarily older than you thought.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Huh. I wasn't expecting this business jargon to be in a dictionary. Maybe it's older than I thought.
It's been around for years. You're right that it's very jargony. But I come from the nonprofit world, where lots of people wouldn't be able to make it through a day (or a meeting) without it.

These are people who think resource is a verb and never call or write if they can reach out. Best thing about retirement is not having to listen to them anymore. Most of the students here are more coherent.

Status
Not open for further replies.