Diary - After I had my eye check-up, my eyes was itchy.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

After I had my eye check-up, my eyes was itchy. I suspected it was caused by the eye drops for enlarging my pupils. It was strange because I did this kind of test a few times many years ago and I was fine. As I get older, I'm allergic to more and more things. I'm even allergic to a medicine for rhinitis. How bizarre! It should have relieved my allergy but it caused an eye allergy to me.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You eyes were itchy. Not was.

I would say:

I think it was caused by the eye drops used for enlarging my pupils.

Say:

It should have relieved my allergy, but it caused a bad reaction.

They didn't cause the allergy. They made you aware of it.

Apparently, the reaction to the eye drops was temporary. Is that right?

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
They didn't cause the allergy. They made you aware of it.
The medicine for rhinitis caused the allergy. My eyes turned red and itchy.

Apparently, the reaction to the eye drops was temporary. Is that right?
My eyes are still itchy but getting better.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
After I had my eye check-up, my eyes was were itchy. I suspected suspect it was caused by the eye drops for enlarging they used to dilate my pupils. It was It's strange because I did I had this kind of test a few times many years ago and I was fine. As I get older, I'm becoming allergic intolerant to more and more things. I'm even allergic intolerant to a medicine for rhinitis. How bizarre! It should have relieved my allergy problem but it caused an eye allergy to me irritation.
You're not allergic to that medicine. A true allergy results in an anaphylactic reaction, causing your mouth, tongue and throat to close up and you die! What you have is an intolerance.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The medicine for rhinitis caused the allergy. My eyes turned red and itchy.
I'm afraid you are mistaken. An allergy is a condition that exists whether or not the allergen is present or not. For example, suppose I am allergic to certain types of pollen. That allergy exists all the time, but I only experience symptoms when the allergen is present.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I'm afraid you are mistaken. An allergy is a condition that exists whether or not the allergen is present or not. For example, suppose I am allergic to certain types of pollen. That allergy exists all the time, but I only experience symptoms when the allergen is present.
Isn’t that when someone contacts the pollen, their allergies might flare up? When doctors ask me if I’m allergic to any medicine, I say that medicine and they will ask me what reactions did I get after having it.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

I tell them what that medicine is, and then they ask me what my reactions are to it.

In the case of pollen, I am fairly sure you have to inhale it for there to be any kind of allergic reaction. With other things -- for example, poison ivy -- it might be skin contact that's the trigger.