Diary - After several months, my Japanese learning's gradually got on track.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

After several months, my Japanese learning's gradually got on track. I'm happy that now I can hear what the speakers say in the listening practice. I remember at first I could only recognize a phrase in a sentence, which I hadn't expected, because I grew up watching Japanese animes so I thought I could catch what Japanese said quite easily. However, I found that it's actually hard because as a beginner, I have difficulty processing vocabulary and grammar at the same time. I think I'll get better with more practice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Wow! You're learning Japanese too! Wow!

By "hear what they say" does that mean you can understand it?

Bedtime!

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
By "hear what they say" does that mean you can understand it?
Yes, I can understand it and also I can hear the words they say.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
After several months, my Japanese learning's study is gradually got on track paying off. I'm happy that because now I can hear and understand what the speakers say in the listening practice. I remember At first, I could only recognize a phrase in a sentence, which I hadn't expected, because I grew up watching Japanese animes so I thought I could would be able to catch what understand Japanese said quite easily. However, I found that it's actually hard because, as a beginner, I have difficulty processing vocabulary and grammar at the same time. I think I'll get better with more practice.
Note my corrections above.
I'm not sure what you mean by the underlined part - do you mean that when you heard a complete sentence, you were only able to understand a short phrase within it, or that you could only recognise specific phrases when they were part of a longer sentence?

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In that case, say "At first, I could recognise only a few words or phrases, not complete sentences, ...".

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Maybo You need a different word than "hear" there. Or maybe you shouldn't use that word at all. What do I mean? Well, I can hear what they say when people speak Italian, but I don't know what they're saying. (Italian is my favorite Ianguage to listen to even though I don't know Italian.)

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
@Maybo You need a different word than "hear" there. Or maybe you shouldn't use that word at all. What do I mean? Well, I can hear what they say when people speak Italian, but I don't know what they're saying. (Italian is my favorite Ianguage to listen to even though I don't know Italian.)
Do you have any suggestion?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Maybo I simply wouldn't use "hear" there.

(People tend to think my memory is better than it is, but I remember that one. 😊)