Diary - I just saw a piece of shocking news on my Facebook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

I just saw a piece of shocking news on my Facebook. One of my classmates has divorced for a year! She has two children, and she always looked happy in her photos. I can't believe she has divorced. The most shocking thing is that her ex-husband has mistresses. Two mistresses! How could he cover that up so well for many years!

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

I just saw a piece of shocking news on my Facebook. One of my classmates has been divorced for a year! She has two children, and she always looked happy in her photos. I can't believe she got divorced. The most shocking thing is that her ex-husband has mistresses. Two mistresses! How could he cover that up so well for so long?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If they're divorced, he doesn't have mistresses; he has girlfriends. If he was having sex with someone else while they were still married, then he had a mistress/mistresses. Here's what I'd write:

I've just seen something shocking on my Facebook feed. One of my classmates got divorced a year ago. She's got two kids and always looked happy in photos. I can't believe she's divorced now! Even more shocking is the fact that her husband was shagging two other women while they were married! I've got no idea how he could have kept that secret. [She's clearly better off without him, the cheating git!]

The pale part at the end is just my opinion, but it's what I would write!

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I guess you could say they were mistresses, but now that he's single they're girlfriends.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I guess you could say they were mistresses, but now that he's single they're girlfriends.
Isn't that exactly what I said in post 2?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Isn't that exactly what I said in post 2?
Two Things. One, pretty much, but not exactly. Two, people repeat things I have said all the time, but this is the first time I have said anything about it (I think).

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
her husband was shagging two other women
That's highly informal and may not be appropriate in some contexts.
Perhaps say something like "... her husband was cheating on her, with two women, no less!"

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That's highly informal and may not be appropriate in some contexts.
Perhaps say something like "... her husband was cheating on her, with two women, no less!"
That's true but all of Maybo's posts are entries from his/her private diary. On that basis, I didn't think that formality or avoiding vulgarity were necessary. I meant that it's what I might write in my own private diary. I should have made that clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.