Diary - We are entering Chinese ghost month.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

We are entering Chinese ghost month. I usually ignore it but every year, everywhere will keep mentioning about the taboos. I'm afraid of ghosts, especially at night, I don't dare to go to the bathroom if I think of them. Now, I'm reminded of them again. Although I'm afraid of them, I like to watch ghost movies, but since it's very scary so I prefer reading English books now in most of time. When I read books and come across new words, I skip them, which makes me less frightened.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We are entering Chinese Ghost Month. I usually ignore it but every year, I see it mentioned everywhere. will keep mentioning about the taboos. I'm afraid of ghosts, especially at night; I don't dare to go to the bathroom if I think of them. Now no comma here I'm being reminded of them again. Although I'm afraid of them ghosts, I like to watch ghost horror movies. However, but since it's they're very scary so most of the time I prefer reading to read books in English. books now in most of time.

When I read books and come across new words, I skip them, which makes me less frightened. This sentence doesn't fit the rest of the piece. Why would you be frightened of new words if you're not reading horror stories?
The second sentence doesn't really make sense. If you usually ignore it, how do you know that it's mentioned everywhere every year? Do you mean that this year it's harder to ignore it?

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
The second sentence doesn't really make sense. If you usually ignore it, how do you know that it's mentioned everywhere every year? Do you mean that this year it's harder to ignore it?
It is because every year, some online search engines will show frequent searching results in ghost month and they usually are taboos for ghosts. When I go to YouTube, the show I often watch also create a special episode for this month. Even sometimes when I go to bookstores, some of them will put ghost story books in a prominent spot.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
When I read books and come across new words, I skip them, which makes me less frightened. This sentence doesn't fit the rest of the piece. Why would you be frightened of new words if you're not reading horror stories?
It should be “I prefer to read ghost books in English”.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Does “horror movies” include “bloody movies”? Because I want to specify about the ghost.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would say I try to ignore it, but I can't because I am reminded of it regularly.

I had never heard of ghost books before.

I don't think that's a good strategy. I might write the word down and then look it up when I'm finished reading. For example, I might read a couple of chapters then look up the words I have written down.

Would you like to tell me more about what you mean by "taboos"?

I had never heard of ghost month before. Is that supposed to be taken seriously? (I imagine that the ghosts are pretty happy that they have their own month. 😀)

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Would you like to tell me more about what you mean by "taboos"?

I had never heard of ghost month before. Is that supposed to be taken seriously? (I imagine that the ghosts are pretty happy that they have their own month. 😀)
It is said that every year, there is a month for ghosts to be released from the hell to the human world. One of the taboos is avoiding water related activities. It’s because they will wait you in the water and take your life to let themselves to incarnate into human again.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say: "It is said that every year there is a month for ghosts to be released from hell and inhabit the human world.

A taboo is something you can do but is forbidden. For example, there is the incest taboo. You can't avoid water.

I would say that during ghost month you are to avoid water (ponds, lakes, rivers) because ghosts wait in the water for people to come by. Then they take over their bodies.

I guess nobody gets on a boat during ghost month.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When they tell you to avoid water do they explain how you are supposed to do that?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We don't use the terms "ghost books" or "bloody movies". You could use "supernatural genre books/movies" if you don't want to use "horror". Sometimes, movies with a lot of blood in are called "gory movies".

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Just avoid swimming in the pools, seas or rivers, especially at night. It is said that they like to drag human legs down into the water.

Some taboos: https://god.com.hk/blogs/everything/hungry-ghost-festival
Well, if you're swimming your legs are already in the water. I think you mean "they" like to grab people by the legs and pull them under the water.

It visited that website. The writing is mostly good except for one sentence that starts off okay but then kind of loses its way.

I think they're pulling your leg.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Maybo The word "taboos" is wrong. They are talking about rituals or sayings or beliefs or superstitions.

I don't think the writer of that article really believes that stuff. If you really believe something you don't call it a superstition. It's more like they're poking fun at it.

Last edited:

dunchee

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
United States
@Maybo The word "taboos" is wrong. They are talking about rituals or sayings or beliefs or superstitions.
I must say I was surprised because I didn’t know the word “taboos” was wrong. That’s how we say it, in Chinese of course, and “taboo(s)” is the translation. Anyway, I was curious so I did some digging. Now I think it's more of a different opinion than the word itself being wrong.

Global Studies: China - Page 54
Suzanne Ogden 1997
"The influence of Ghost Month is widespread in society, with Chinese heeding a long list of taboos that have a strong impact on business activity during this cautious time. The real estate industry feels the negative forces more so ..."

Real Zombies, the Living Dead, and Creatures of the Apocalypse
Brad Steiger 2010
"Taboos during the Month of the Hungry Ghosts

Those who fervently believe in the taboos that many bad things may happen to people during the most cursed month of the year do their utmost not to give birth during this month—nor to renovate their homes, take trips, go swimming, buy real estate or get a haircut."

Oh, I didn't know about that "get a haircut" one!

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's a long list of superstitions.

Last edited: