Did you see your cousin twice removed there?

Uncanny

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Slovak
Home Country
Slovak Republic
Current Location
Slovak Republic
How can 'Did you see your cousin twice removed there?' be interpreted in this dialogue:

— I went to the court yesterday.
— Did you see your cousin twice removed there?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
First of all it is an expression very rarely if ever used in everyday speech. That said, it's a conventional way of describing genetic or familial relationship. A child of your first cousin is a first cousin once removed, so I think a grandchild of your first cousin could be said to be twice removed.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Assuming I was responding to a summons, I would say:

I went to court yesterday.

I would only use "first cousin once removed" if I needed to describe our familial relationship.

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In my extended family I am called Uncle Peter by my cousins once removed and I would usually refer to them as my nieces. As @probus says the formal terms are not normally used in conversation.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The degrees of cousinhood (first, second, third, etc.) are used sparingly in regular speech, but the amount of removal (once, twice, etc.) is very rarely used in casual conversations. Few people understand the differences well enough to use them, for one thing.

About the only time people ever bother with all this is when researching family genealogies or you're trying to establish how you're related to this person you just met at some family reunion or similar event.

As others have said, we generally tend to just lump under the catchall terms of 'cousins' (or as Peter mentioned, sometimes 'aunt/uncle'). Ergo, the response in the OP's conversation is most unnatural.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
— I went to the court yesterday.
— Did you see your cousin twice removed there?

Many would take it to mean 'Did you see your cousin being removed from the courtroom twice?'

In all my years (85 and counting), I've only ever used 'my [first] cousin' and 'my cousin's daughter/son'. On the very rare occasions when it's been necessary to distinguish between 'first cousin once removed' and 'second cousin', I've always had to look it up.

Most people find that specifying the exact terminology for their extended family is only necessary for legal reasons – such as the distribution of funds and property of a relative who has died intestate (a very nice earner for lawyers).

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
On first reading, I understood the sentence as saying that someone was physically removed (manhandled) from court twice.