Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Fellows, your wise English opinion is needed again. Could you say if the sentence's word order is fine (do still) or should it be still do remember?
1) What I do still remember about my great-great-grandfather, who was able to live to the age of one hundred and thirteen years, is the fact that he possessed dozens of different driedmultiple-petal clovers, which he’d been collecting for fourty-six years when his death came to due...

Could you say if the sentence's word order is fine (do still) or should it be still do remember?
It depends on what was said earlier. Had you said earlier that you didn't remember something? You may not even need "do".

who was able to live to the age of one hundred and thirteen years,
"Able to" is unnatural in this context.
... who lived to ...
Maybe also ... who managed to live to ...

fourty-six
forty-six
when his death came to due...
The dots suggest something more. What's that?
"Death came to due" is wrong.

That sounds a little too familiar when speaking to strangers.

Just out of curiosity, would 'guys' have worked in this case? I'm sure 'folks' would.

No, for the reason Barque gave in post #2.

What I do still remember ...

The auxiliary do is used for contrastive emphasis here. That means the speaker has just mentioned something they don't remember. For this effect, do has to be in this position.

Is this your sentence?

Perhaps: "What I still remember about my great-great-grandfather, who lived to be 113 years old, is that he possessed dozens of dried multiple-petal clovers, which he'd been collecting for 46 years, when he died '

As for "still do," that's the one I prefer.

That shows disrespect to any of our female members who may be prepared to reply to your post.
Just out of curiosity, would 'guys' have worked in this case? I'm sure 'folks' would.
Bear in mind that there's no need to refer to us individually or collectively with any term. There's no need for an opening greeting of any kind. Just go ahead and ask your question.
"Fellows" is a very odd choice anyway. Even if we were all men, it would be a very old-fashioned way of addressing us. "Guys" has become fairly gender-neutral for some people. I've been known to address a group of female friends as "guys" but, technically, it should refer to men. If you want to use a form of address somewhere other than this forum, stick with "Hi, all" or "Hi, everyone".

"Guys" has become fairly gender-neutral for some people. I've been known to address a group of female friends as "guys" but, technically, it should refer to men.

I'd go so far as to say it's become commonly accepted as gender neutral, at least with younger speakers. I've similarly overheard women address other women as 'guys' many times.

I get a kick out of it when I take my mother out for her appointments and such. It severely irritates her, to the point she'll verbally correct the person. As a lot of the people she encounters (servers and office staff) tend to be younger women, it happens a lot. The last time it happened, it was a young female server, who didn't even realize the implications it carried.

The conversation went something like this:

Server: Hello, my name is XYZ, and I'll be taking care of you today*. What can I get you guys to drink?
Mom: I'm not a guy.
Server: Pardon me?
Mom: I'm not a guy. So you shouldn't call me a guy.
Server: But...? I didn't call you a guy? I just said 'you guys'?

And so on. It took a bit before the server (with her rising inflection that made everything sound like a question) made the connection between 'guys' = 'male'.

*On a side note, I personally dislike this phrase. I'm in a restaurant, not a hospital bed or massage parlor.

Last edited:
I'm pretty certain that Sped Tiger did not mean to exclude any female members from responding, so no disrespect was shown.

Let's remember that fellows, in the sense of people in the same position, is not gendered. I presume that Sped Tiger did not mean to use the informal word fellas, which is gendered.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back