Do we use article 'The' before a title assigned to a person?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rollercoaster1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Muhammad Ali Jinnah was a lawyer, politician, and the founder of Pakistan. In Pakistan, he is revered as Qauid-e-Azam (Great Leader).

Do we put definite article before titles such as Qauid-e-Azam is given. We sometimes call the title along with the name, Qauid-e-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah. Looking at these examples, "The Quaid-e-Azam", "The Quaid-e-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah", kindly let me know if the article "The" is appropriate.

Mahatma Gandhi is also known as the Mahatma, so it would be logical to use the definite article. What does the English-language press in Pakistan usually do?

Mahatma Gandhi is also known as the Mahatma, so it would be logical to use the definite article. What does the English-language press in Pakistan usually do?

Unfortunately, I don't read any newspaper. I have just found an English newspaper called "Dawn" publishes in Pakistan. The writer of the report hasn't used the definite article here: Exactly 70 years to the day, on December 25, 1947, Quaid-i-Azam Mohammad Ali Jinnah agreed to be photographed reading Dawn – the newspaper he had founded. The headline on the front page of Dawn that day read: ‘71 today’. The trace of a whimsical smile on Mr Jinnah’s lips is unmistakable as he is seen glancing at the newspaper. | Photo: Press Information Department (PID).

But she does here:
IN one of the more unforgettable contemporary recollections of Mohammad Ali Jinnah, Beverely Nichols in Verdict on India described the lanky and stylishly dressed barrister as the “most important man in Asia”. Looking every bit like a gentleman of Spain, of the old diplomatic school, the monocle-wearing leader of the All-India Muslim League held a pivotal place in India’s future. “If Gandhi goes, there is Nehru, Rajagopalachari, Patel and a dozen others. But if Jinnah goes, who is there?” Without the Quaid-i-Azam to steer the course, the Muslim League was a divisive and potentially explosive force that “might run completely off the rails, and charge through India with fire and slaughter”; it might even “start another war”. As long as Jinnah was around, nothing disastrous was likely to happen and so, Nichols quipped, “a great deal hangs on the grey silk cord of that monocle”.

Here is the link to the report.
https://www.dawn.com/news/1377353

What I am considering is we don't use the definite article when we say or call the title along with the name, as she has done in her report (Quaid-e-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah agreed to be photographed...), but if we are calling or reading the title only, it is, then, essential to use the definite article as she has done in the second paragraph of her report (the Quaid-e-Azam to steer the course...).

Last edited:
What I am considering is we don't use the definite article when we say or call the title along with the name, as she has done in her report (Quaid-e-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah agreed to be photographed...), but if we are calling or reading the title only, it is, then, essential to use the definite article as she as done in the second paragraph of her report (the Quaid-e-Azam to steer the course...).
That looks like a reasonable approach to me. [EDIT] However, Google ngrams doesn't find a single instance with the definite article, so it's evidently very rarely used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back