[General] "Do you know that many inventions were inspired by the natural world?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Son Ho

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I think A, C, or D is correct in this question which is in a workbook in Vietnam. Could you tell me which one is correct? And why?

1. "Do you know that many inventions were inspired by the natural world?"
- " ____________"
A. Of course. You're right.
B. Well, that sounds interesting.
C. Yes, I couldn't agree more.
D. There is no hope about it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Before we (potentially) tell you what we think, tell us how you came to the conclusion that A, C and D could be used there. What is your justification for each one? How do they connect to the original sentence? You need to ask yourself your own question - which one is correct and why?

Son Ho

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I'm sorry to confirm that A, B or C is correct to me, not D. I think this question is about certain knowledge which you may know. If you know, you say "yes" in answer A or C. If you don't, you say "no". Answer B shows that you find new information interesting.

- " ____________"
A. Of course. You're right. (It means "yes" or "I agree")
B. Well, that sounds interesting. (It means " the new information is interesting")
C. Yes, I couldn't agree more. (It means " I totally agree")

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
[STRIKE]I'm sorry to confirm that[/STRIKE] A, B or C all seem correct to me, but not D. I think this question is about certain knowledge which you may have. If you know, you say "yes" in answer A or C. If you don't, you say "no". Answer B shows that you find new information interesting.

I would have asked, "DID you know . . . ?" (It's idiomatic.)
A. Of course. You're right. (It means "Yes" or "I agree.")

That's a good, natural response. Notice that it doesn't directly answer "Do you know?"

B. Well, that sounds interesting. (It means "The new information is interesting.")

Like A, that's a natural response, but it doesn't exactly answer the question, either.

C. Yes, I couldn't agree more. (It means " I totally agree.")

I like C best because it says "Yes," which answers the question: Yes, I do know.

That's just silly.
Those are my thoughts, but I don't know which one is supposed to be the correct answer.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think A, C, or D [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] are correct in this question which is [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] from a workbook in Vietnam. Could you tell me which one is correct no question mark here and why?

1. "[STRIKE]Do[/STRIKE] Did you know that many inventions were inspired by the natural world?"
- " ____________"

A. Of course. You're right.
B. Well, that sounds interesting.
C. Yes, I couldn't agree more.

A would be OK without "You're right". It would answer the question "Did you know ...?" with "Of course", meaning "Yes. I knew that".
B, I think, is the answer they're looking for, on the assumption that the responder is supposed to think that that information is interesting.
C doesn't work because you weren't asked a question that required you to agree or disagree.
D is just nonsense. Not only is it ungrammatical, but it has zero connection to the question.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The answer is B.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
But A & C cannot be excluded IMO. There is a problem with this question.

Status
Not open for further replies.