[Grammar] do you mind ME/MY doing something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JarekSteliga

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
My dictionary instructs me to say: 'Will they mind us being late?'. Am I wrong to have a problem with this?
I would much rather say: 'Will they mind OUR being late?'
I could understand:
'Will they mind US?' (meaning: 'Will they mind our presence?'
or
'Will they mind being late?' (meaning:'Will they mind if they arrive late?')
however
'us' and 'being' in my opinion do not belong together.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
NOT A TEACHER

(1) This question always produces a lot of pleasant and courteous disagreements

among teachers.

(2) This is what some teachers say:

(a) Do you mind my marrying your daughter next month? = Is next month a good date

for us to get married? In other words, you are putting the emphasis on the "marrying."

(b) Do you mind me marrying your daughter? = Yes, I am poor now, but I will work hard

and make enough money to take care of your daughter. In other words, the emphasis

is on your acceptance of "me."

(3) As I said, some teachers say that it doesn't matter which one you choose. They

say that the context of the conversation will make clear exactly what the meaning is.

P.S. I love the "rule." I hope that you follow it, too.

JarekSteliga

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
NOT A TEACHER

(1) This question always produces a lot of pleasant and courteous disagreements

among teachers.

(2) This is what some teachers say:

(a) Do you mind my marrying your daughter next month? = Is next month a good date

for us to get married? In other words, you are putting the emphasis on the "marrying."

(b) Do you mind me marrying your daughter? = Yes, I am poor now, but I will work hard

and make enough money to take care of your daughter. In other words, the emphasis

is on your acceptance of "me."

(3) As I said, some teachers say that it doesn't matter which one you choose. They

say that the context of the conversation will make clear exactly what the meaning is.

P.S. I love the "rule." I hope that you follow it, too.

Many thanks for this comment.
Makes me realize how I overlooked the issues related to the 'distribution' of emphasis.
I am working my way through a pile of English language tests. I will reactivate this thread once I stumble upon a question revolving around the topic under discussion to show which side of 'pleasant and corteous disagreement' the author of this particular test subscribes to ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.