Does somebody mind if I open the window?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus

In Raymond Murphy's "English Grammar in Use" there is the following explanation on the usage of "some" and "any": "We use some [in questions] to talk about a person or thing that we know exists, or we think exists: Are you waiting for somebody? (I think you are waiting for somebody)"

Is the example sentence possible in a situation when a speaker knows from the facial expression of somebody listening to them that they could mind opening the window? Would it be natural to use "somebody" in such circumstances?

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
And there is another example:
Do you live anywhere near Joe? - No, he lives in another part of the town.
What if the speaker knows that the interlocutor lives near Joe and asks somewhat rhetorically? Should they use "somewhere" in this case?
Do you live somewhere near Joe? If you by any chance see him, could you tell him that his mother is looking for him?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

In Raymond Murphy's "English Grammar in Use" there is the following explanation on the usage of "some" and "any": "We use some [in questions] to talk about a person or thing that we know exists, or we think exists: Are you waiting for somebody? (I think you are waiting for somebody)"

Is the example sentence possible in a situation when a speaker knows from the facial expression of somebody listening to them that they could mind opening the window? Would it be natural to use "somebody" in such circumstances?

No. Use anyone or anybody.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And there is another example:
Do you live anywhere near Joe? - No, he lives in another part of the town.
What if the speaker knows that the interlocutor lives near Joe and asks somewhat rhetorically? Should they use "somewhere" in this case?
Do you live somewhere near Joe? If you by any chance see him, could you tell him that his mother is looking for him?

Anywhere would be more natural. You can recast it as a negative though: Don't you live somewhere near Joe?

Status
Not open for further replies.