Does the "Dark L" appear at the end of a syllable or a word?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoli

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Romania
I have an older book for learning English but it is in Romanian language and the author says that the dark l sound appears in the final position. I'm not sure what he means by "final position."
For example, in the name Alison / ˈæl ə sən / the first syllable should be the dark L. So, that means that the "dark l" sound doesn't need to be at the end of the word, but at the end of a syllable. Am I right?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I have an old er book for learning English, but it is in Romanian language and the author says that the dark L sound appears in the final position. I'm not sure what he means by "final position."
For example, in the name Alison / ˈæl ə sən / the first syllable should be have the dark L. So, that means that the "dark L" sound doesn't need to be at the end of the word, but at the end of a syllable. Am I right?
I don't know if that is an absolute rule. I can tell you that the L in Alison is not a dark L.

Zoli

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Romania
I can tell you that the L in Alison is not a dark L.
I think that's because l is followed by a vowel.

Dark l is followed by a consonant or it is final.

Girl = dark l
Girl + s (consonant) = dark l

Little = the first "l" is a light "l" and second is a dark "l".

I'm just wondering if the "dark l" loses its quality of being a "dark l" when linked with another word that starts with a vowel, for example:

Tell‿us.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
When you write the letter "L" on its own, it's always a good idea to use a capital "L". The problem with using a lower-case "l" is that it can look like a capital "i".

Status
Not open for further replies.