Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What does "Down turn" mean? The woman speaks it like "Downtown" - but the place where she finds the egg is not in downtown. "Down turn" does not sounds like the name of a place. What does it mean?

===================
(The young woman brings the egg (bauxillium egg) dropped from the outspace to the UFO center in Los Angeles).

A middle-aged woman who studies UFO asks her:

Where did you say you found it?

The woman replies: Down turn, not five miles from here.

Source: The Staring Fighters

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What does "Down turn" mean? The woman [STRIKE]speaks[/STRIKE] says it like "Downtown" no dash here but the place where she finds the egg is not [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] downtown. "Down turn" does not sounds like the name of a place. What does it mean?

===================
(The young woman brings the egg (bauxillium egg) [STRIKE]dropped[/STRIKE] that fell from [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]outspace[/STRIKE] outer space to the UFO center in Los Angeles).

A middle-aged woman who studies UFOs asks her no colon here "Where did you say you found it?"

The woman replies no colon here "Down turn, not five miles from here."

Note my corrections above. "Down turn" makes no sense to me. If "Turn" was the name of a place, it could make sense, as we sometimes preface places with "up" and "down".

What exactly is "The Staring Fighters"? I Googled it and searched IMDb but I can't find a game, TV series or film with that title.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What does "Down turn" mean? The woman says it like "Downtown" - but the place where she finds the egg is not [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] downtown. "Down turn" does not sound[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE] like the name of a place. What does it mean?

===================
(The young woman brings the egg (bauxillium egg) dropped from the outspace to the UFO center in Los Angeles).

A middle-aged woman who studies UFOs asks her:

Where did you say you found it?

The woman replies: Down turn, not five miles from here.

It might have some local meaning that you and I are not aware of. Otherwise, I would need additional context to form a useful opinion.

(Cross posted.)

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What exactly is "The Staring Fighters"? I Googled it and searched IMDb but I can't find a game, TV series or film with that title.

It is printed on my DVD disc cover. It might have been "The Star Fighters". I am not sure. The content is roughly like this: On the planet Praximus 18, a life-force sucking monster called Gorek steals the egg that contains billions of monsters of his kind and hurtles it into space toward the Earth. One such monster could destroy the entire planet of ours. So the "God" of Praximus 18 sends a warrior called Trace to the Earth to destroy the egg to save our planet.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Have you asked Siri?:roll:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It can't have been a very successful movie! I can't find any trace on Google of "Praximus 18", a monster called "Gorek" or a warrior called "Trace". I don't think you're going to get an answer to your question unless you can upload a clip with the relevant dialogue.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
How does the woman know the object fell from the sky (was of extraterrestrial origin) unless she saw it happen?

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It can't have been a very successful movie! I can't find any trace on Google of "Praximus 18", a monster called "Gorek" or a warrior called "Trace". I don't think you're going to get an answer to your question unless you can upload a clip with the relevant dialogue.

Some screenshots:
1.JPG
The "God" of Praximus 18 is speaking
2.JPG

Trace tells the young woman that he must take back the egg and destroy it:
3.JPG

Gorek reveals his monster face:
4.JPG

Gorek is in the body of Jack (of FBI):
5.JPG

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Is this the film you're talking about, GoodTaste?

https://www.google.com/search?clien...TAuMZgBAKABAcABAQ&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-serp

(If you scroll down a bit, there's a YouTube video of it.)

You could make some screenshots and post (this part of Google and Youtube are blocked here).

How does the woman know the object fell from the sky (was of extraterrestrial origin) unless she saw it happen?

She observed the meteor from her back yard and traced and picked it up.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
After watching 30 seconds of the trailer (I couldn't make it through the entire 2:16), it's apparent that:

• it was apparently filmed with disposable cameras
  • special effects were handled by a 3rd grade crafts class
  • actors were random people pulled off the street
  • this movie had a production budget approximately the size of a group lunch at McDonald's
  • dialogue was written by 6th graders

To call this a B-movie is several letters of the alphabet too generous. It's one of those movies you watch purely to make fun of how bad it is.

However....if you really want to watch this gem, it's available on Youtube. The relevant dialogue is here, and she clearly does say "downtown".

GoodTaste, I don't know why you thought the place she found it couldn't be downtown. Here's the scene where she finds it.

Warning: Any time spent watching this junk is precious seconds of your life you'll never get back.

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I think she's saying 'Downtown - not five hours from there.'

(Edit) I might be wrong - I listened to her again, and she seems to be saying 'Downtown - not five miles from here.'

Last edited by a moderator:

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The audio quality is admittedly poor (yet another endearing feature), but she says 'five miles'.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
She observed the meteor from her back yard, [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] tracked it down and picked it up.

Note my corrections above.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

That's easy — it says so, right there in the script!

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What does "Down turn" mean? The woman speaks it like "Downtown" - but the place where she finds the egg is not in downtown.
The Los Angeles River, which is a broad, concrete channel in the area, passes through downtown Los Angeles. Old descriptions of the city say it's "on both sides of the Los Angeles River".

Status
Not open for further replies.