Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
[From a brunch shop in Taiwan]
Atzuegg.jpg

Drink EASY; EAT WELL.
---
Is it grammatical? How do you think of the four?

a. Drink EASY; EAT WELL.
b. Drink EASILY; EAT WELL. [mine]
c. Drink EASY; EAT GOOD. [mine]
d. Drink EASILY; EAT GOOD. [mine]

I've no idea what they (or you) mean by DRINK EASY/EASILY.
I think that "easy" here means "simple, not fancy", for example, a cup of Americano.

It's not a matter of grammar. The real problem is that while "eat well" is natural and common in English, "drink easy" is unnatural and its meaning is ambiguous. Having said that, in the above context (commercial advertising/promotion), I doubt that many customers (even native English speakers) would complain.

I think that "easy" here means "simple, not fancy", for example, a cup of Americano.
Is Americano something people drink in Taiwan?

In the jargon of Starbucks (and presumably other coffee shops) an Americano is coffee with cream or milk.

In the jargon of Starbucks (and presumably other coffee shops) an Americano is coffee with cream or milk.
Maybe I'll try that at Dunkin Donuts.
😊

That doesn't jive with my memory, so I did a google search, and the result matches what I saw: Starbucks Americano is made with espresso and hot water.

[From a brunch shop in Taiwan]
Atzuegg.jpg

Drink EASY; EAT WELL.
---
Is it grammatical? How do you think of the four?

a. Drink EASY; EAT WELL.
b. Drink EASILY; EAT WELL. [mine]
c. Drink EASY; EAT GOOD. [mine]
d. Drink EASILY; EAT GOOD. [mine]
It's correct to say EASY for the verb.
There are some verbs that require an adjective-form used as an adverb (I can swim FAST - not FASTLY)
The same is with the phrase: Take it easy (not easily).

Next, it's correct to ask: "Is it grammatically correct?" (rather than "Is it grammatical?"
And one more. They usually ask not "HOW do you think?" but "WHAT do you think?"

Enjoy! :)

I stand corrected. An Americano is not whitened coffee.

There are some verbs that require an adjective-form used as an adverb (I can swim FAST - not FASTLY)
That's nothing to do with the verb. It simply that the adverb and adjective fast have the same form. Compare: I swim quickly.

That doesn't jive with my memory, so I did a google search, and the result matches what I saw: Starbucks Americano is made with espresso and hot water.
I think you mean jibe.

[...]
Next, it's correct to ask: "Is it grammatically correct?" (rather than "Is it grammatical?"
I suppose it's okay to say "Is it grammatical?"

Please see:
Is this grammatical?
https://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/british/grammatical

And one more. They usually ask not "HOW do you think?" but "WHAT do you think?"
Yeah, my mistake. It should be that.

That's nothing to do with the verb. It is simply that the adverb and adjective fast have the same form. Compare: I swim quickly.
Please see above. The red text is mine.

(Edit: Fixed the link.)

Last edited:
We sometimes refer to certain alcoholic beverages (particularly wine and beer) as 'easy drinking'. It just means that they're smooth, mellow, and simple to drink. They're not bitter or harsh, have no particularly complex flavors, and require no special preparation or optimal conditions to enjoy.

It's also a somewhat subjective term.

"Drink easy" is meaningless to me. If I had to guess at a meaning, I would take it to mean something like 'drink alcohol in moderation'

Read it again.

Gibe is almost always used to refer to taunts, or to the act of taunting.
Jibe may be also used to mean “to taunt,” but it is the only one of the three that should be used to mean “is in accord with” (as in “That doesn’t jibe with what I thought”).
Jive is the one of the three that should be used to indicate a manner of speech, or perhaps by swing dancers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back