Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Is it unnecessary to include "conversations" in my sentence? Can I use "on other people" only?

"She never eavesdrops on other people's conversations."

Yes, you can. The longer sentence is fine, though.

If you include "conversations", you exclude the possibility of her eavesdropping on people who are alone and who are perhaps talking to themselves, or singing along to the radio.

If you include "conversations", you exclude the possibility of her eavesdropping on people who are alone and who are perhaps talking to themselves, or singing along to the radio.

I can't imagine "eavesdropping on people who are alone and who are perhaps talking to themselves, or singing along to the radio".

You can't eavesdrop on yourself.

So you can just say: "She never eavesdrops."

It means exactly the same thing. We know it's on other people.

I can't imagine "eavesdropping on people who are alone and who are perhaps talking to themselves, or singing along to the radio".

I don't see why not! If you're in the habit of eavesdropping on your neighbours, for example, you might well listen in on them no matter what they're doing.

I don't see why not! If you're in the habit of eavesdropping on your neighbours, for example, you might well listen in on them no matter what they're doing.

Well, as I used to tell my kids when they were busily doing nothing, I would tell the eavesdropper, "Go find something to do". :-|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back