Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Hello,

Is there any difference between the two sentences below? I think they infer the same meaning.

1 - Either option is feasible.

2 - Both options are feasible.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

You mean they imply, not infer, the same thing.

In this case they do carry almost the same meaning.

The very slight possible difference, depending on the context, is that 1. could mean either one option or the other is feasible (but not both) while 2. states that both are feasible.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am not a teacher.

The very slight possible difference, depending on the context, is that 1. could mean either one option or the other is feasible (but not both) while 2. states that both are feasible.

I can't think of a context in which "either option is feasible" means that only one of the options is feasible.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I can't think of a context in which "either option is feasible" means that only one of the options is feasible.

Can't you? I can think of hundreds.

Here's a simple example.

I want to have some work done on my house and I have a budget of 5,000€. The kitchen project and the bathroom project will each cost around 4,500€. Either of these options is feasible.

Now, I have a budget of 10,000€ and they both become feasible.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Can't you? I can think of hundreds.

Here's a simple example.

I want to have some work done on my house and I have a budget of 5,000€. The kitchen project and the bathroom project will each cost around 4,500€. Either of these options is feasible.

Now, I have a budget of 10,000€ and they both become feasible.

Just because you can't afford both does not make only one feasible. Both projects "could be done" and "are possible". But I get your point. Only one is affordable.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
Just because you can't afford both does not make only one feasible. Both projects "could be done" and "are possible". But I get your point. Only one is affordable.

I'm glad that you get my point, but you don't really accept it.

In the first scenario I didn't say that only one was feasible, I said that either one was feasible. Once one of the options has been chosen the other one is no longer feasible, QED.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm glad that you get my point, but you don't really accept it.

In the first scenario I didn't say that only one was feasible, I said that either one was feasible. Once one of the options has been chosen the other one is no longer feasible, QED.

Yes, but before you counted your money both were feasible. Each could have been done. We basically see "feasible" differently. For you to say, one is "no longer feasible", you must have believed that it was feasible at one time. Hence, "no longer".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Yes, but before you counted your money both were feasible.
I think that Roman's point was that both were not feasible.
Each could have been done.
Quite, but not both.
For you to say, one is "no longer feasible", you must have believed that it was feasible at one time. Hence, "no longer".
It was feasible only given that the other was not chosen.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think that Roman's point was that both were not feasible.Quite, but not both. It was feasible only given that the other was not chosen.

But his use of "no longer feasible" means that it had been feasible. "Feasible" deals with potential, not affordability or implementation. I get his point, but I disagree with it.

Peter Chan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Philippines
I AM NOT A TEACHER

I am not a teacher.

I found these 2 sentences in a dictionary, which support Roman55:

1." You may sit at either end of the table", a person can not sit at both ends of a table at the same time.

2. "There are trees on either side of the road", tress may be one of the sides, or on boths sides of the road.

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I AM NOT A TEACHER

I found these 2 sentences in a dictionary, which support Roman55:

1." You may sit at either end of the table", a person can not sit at both ends of a table at the same time.

2. "There are trees on either side of the road", tress may be one of the sides, or on boths sides of the road.

Those are completely different constructions.

Peter Chan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Philippines
Those are completely different constructions.

I am not a taecher

Can you explain further your comment “Those are completely constructions”

In Roamn55’s post #5, he stated his understanding about the meanings the words “either” and “both”.

Roamans55 stated: “1. (refer to “1. Either option is feasible” in BrunacBC’s post) could mean either one option or the other is feasible (but not both).

My sentence 1 precisely supports his explanation.

My sentence 2 may be unnecessary, I put it here just to show “either” also means “both”.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am not a taecher

Can you explain further your comment “Those are completely constructions”

In Roamn55’s post #5, he stated his understanding about the meanings the words “either” and “both”.

Roamans55 stated: “1. (refer to “1. Either option is feasible” in BrunacBC’s post) could mean either one option or the other is feasible (but not both).

My sentence 1 precisely supports his explanation.

My sentence 2 may be unnecessary, I put it here just to show “either” also means “both”.

In your #1, both options are feasible, meaning possible, acceptable. Sitting in A is feasible and sitting in B is feasible. Then one sits in one or the other. If only 1 were feasible, there would be only one option. In my opinion, the meaning turns on the word "feasible", not only on the word "either".

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
But his use of "no longer feasible" means that it had been feasible. "Feasible" deals with potential, not affordability or implementation. I get his point, but I disagree with it.

My real point is that the two scenarios in my example are different.
If you want to use the same words to describe two different situations then by all means do so, but that introduces ambiguity.

We can split hairs all day, but the judicious use of "either" or "both" helps to clarify things.

Status
Not open for further replies.