Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
TASK

Read part of an email from a friend who is planning to come and live in your country:

Of course, I'd really need to learn the language. I know you've been learning English for years, so you've had loads of experience. Are there any tricks of the trade that might help me pick up your language a bit more quickly?

ANSWER

Dear Alex,

Thank you very much for your email. It's really nice hearing from you again. Knowing that we will be able to see each other more often is delightful, so I'm completely excited about your moving in plan.

I'm aware that it has to be really difficult to cope with all the stress which this process involves. However, I consider that your plan of getting to know the language is going to improve your job prospects, although is really important to get a title in order to prove you're capable of speaking and understanding it. Moreover, I highly recommend you to take a course at an academy. With all this, I'm sure you'll be fine with the culture shock!

For what respects of my experience, learning a language takes a huge amount of effort, so you need to work a lot so you improve faster. One of the most popular tricks that I've heard of is "listen and read, a lot to get to know new vocabulary".

I can't wait to read you again! Tell me how is going the packing!

All the best.

nigele2

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Dear Alex,

Thank you very much for your email. It's really nice hearing from you again. Knowing that we will be able to see each other more often is delightful. [STRIKE]so.[/STRIKE] That's why I'm [STRIKE]completely[/STRIKE] so very excited about your moving [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] plans.

I'm aware that it [STRIKE]has to[/STRIKE] must be really difficult to cope with all the stress which this process involves. However, I [STRIKE]consider[/STRIKE] am certain that your plan [STRIKE]of getting to know[/STRIKE] to learn the language is going to improve your job prospects, although it is really important to get a title in order to prove that you're capable of speaking and understanding. [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE]. Moreover, I highly recommend that you take a course at an academy. With all this, I'm sure you'll be fine with the culture shock!

[STRIKE]For what respects of[/STRIKE] Regarding my experience, learning a language takes a huge amount of effort. [STRIKE]so[/STRIKE] You need to work hard [STRIKE]so[/STRIKE] if you want to improve [STRIKE]faster[/STRIKE] quickly. One of the most popular tricks that I've heard of, is to listen and read a lot. This will help you rapidly increase your vocabulary. [STRIKE]learn to know your new vocabulary"[/STRIKE].

I can't wait to [STRIKE]read[/STRIKE] hear from you again! [STRIKE]Tell[/STRIKE] Do tell me how [STRIKE]is going[/STRIKE] the packing is going.

All the best.

-----------------
Above I've tried not to overly change and complicate things.

although it is really important to get a title in order to prove that you're capable of speaking and understanding.” This sounds a little unnatural.

You might say, “I think that obtaining (or gaining) a formal qualification (or certification) is important. Preferably a qualification that covers all of the four basic skills: reading, writing, speaking and listening."

-----------------

How about posting the reply from Alex?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.