Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
STAGE MANAGER:
. . .
And particularly when you were first in love; when you were like a person sleepwalking, and you didn't quite see the street you were in, and didn't quite hear everything that was said to you.
You're just a little bit crazy. Will you remember that, please?
Now they'll be coming out of high school at three o'clock. George has just been elected President of the Junior Class, and as it's June, that means he'll be President of the Senior Class all next year. And Emily's just been elected Secretary and Treasurer.
I don't have to tell you how important that is.

He places a board across the backs of two chairs, which he takes from those at the Gibbs family's table. . . .

(Thornton Wilder, Our Town, Act II)

What is an elected Secretary of a high school class? What are her/his job and duty? Is the election of a Secretary of a high school class quite normal nowadays?

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
What is an elected Secretary of a high school class?
She was elected by her classmates. A few students probably said they were interested in becoming Secretary and it was put to a vote. She won.

What are her/his job and duty?
I'd imagine it involved assisting the president, taking notes of meetings etc. They obviously wouldn't have been as busy as adults working in an organisation, but this sort of thing was done to give them a feeling of responsibility.
Is the election of a Secretary of a high school class quite normal nowadays?
I don't know if you're asking about the US specifically but it's common in some countries still.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My high school only had the offices of class president and vice president. I can't remember a treasurer or secretary, although come to think of it we did do some fundraisers, so someone had to manage the money. I can't speak for other schools.

A secretary's job (in terms of officer) is generally taking the minutes of meetings, submitting them for approval at the next meeting, and then archiving the approved (or amended) minutes. Other individual duties will vary widely.

Status
Not open for further replies.