English Teacher
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hi everyone,

I am a teacher from the Czech Republic and we have many new ukrainian kids.

Does anyone know of any resources in ukrainian? Their English is suprisingly good but sometimes (i.e. the present perfect tense) the explenation in their own language is needed.

Thank you for any information and have a wonderful day,
Jakub

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi Jakub,

I've only ever had one Ukrainian student, and she was an adult, so I don't personally know of anything.

I did find a few websites that might be useful to you.

Here's a site that offers some simple worksheets and flashcards in not only Ukrainian/English but also Czech/Ukrainian (and several other languages).

Amazon has an entire series of English for Ukrainians at various levels, but I imagine the costs and logistics of getting hard copies to you might make them unfeasible.

Actually, here are several e-book versions of the Preston Lee books, some with previews. I don't know how good they are or how well they suit your needs. If you find one that's for sale as an e-book that you like, send a PM with details, and I'll be happy to see about purchasing it as a donation.

This website has some limited Ukrainian/English worksheets and flashcards. Again, I don't know whether it's anything close to what you're looking for, but again if you see something that works, feel free to contact me and I'll donate to your effort.

@5jj is an experienced English teacher currently living in the Czech Republic. Perhaps he'll see this thread and have some suggestions as well.

Best of luck, and thank you for helping these kids.

Jakub

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thank you a lot! This will be of a great help :)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't know of any sites or resources specifically useful to Ukrainian speakers, but I always found EnglishBanana helpful on the rare occasion that I taught children.

(Don't forget to capitalise "Ukrainian". You correctly capitalised "Czech Republic" and "English" but, for some reason, failed to do it with "Ukrainian".)

Moveholir

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
United States
It's so wonderful to see that you want to help Ukrainian refugees in such a situation. I'm sure you're a good person.

Jakub

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I don't know of any sites or resources specifically useful to Ukrainian speakers, but I always found EnglishBanana helpful on the rare occasion that I taught children.

(Don't forget to capitalise "Ukrainian". You correctly capitalised "Czech Republic" and "English" but, for some reason, failed to do it with "Ukrainian".)
Thanks! And this is probably just my fingers not being used to writing a new word (hadn't written the word Ukrainian on a PC in peace times). I will be more careful now :)

sprinterca

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You can search for worksheets with English using specialized websites. I think there are a huge number of platforms on the Internet that are engaged in the selection of worksheets with just such a topic. After all, recently they have been placing more and more emphasis on the study of foreign languages in children. It is certainly very important to instill in a child a love of languages from childhood, because it lays the foundation for learning in him, which, of course, will help him in the future if he decides to do it more thoroughly.

Status
Not open for further replies.