[Essay] Fact/Opinion Distinction (With Examples)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eladamrine

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Australia
I have been trying to learn to identify facts from opinions.

I have been learning from this webpage: http://www.auburn.edu/academic/education/reading_genie/Fact-opinion.html

I used a letter sent by my neighbour about property development in the area and persuading us to write to the council. Most are straightforward but there are a few I am confused about whether they are facts or opinions.

1. 'We have recently bought the house at 1 Miller Street'. The date the house was bought can be verified but people may differ on what 'recently' means.

2. 'The developer lodged this application with the Council at the busiest time of the year'. Can it be verified by seeing how many applications the council received at this period compared with the rest of the year?

3. Can the phrase 'our best interests' ever be a fact?

4. 'Everyone's objection letter counts' - Sounds unverifiable. Perhaps it is an untested claim as oppose to opinion.

Thanks,

Stephen

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have been trying to learn to identify facts from opinions.

No, you want to distinguish facts from opinions.

I have been learning from this webpage: http://www.auburn.edu/academic/education/reading_genie/Fact-opinion.html

I used a letter sent by my neighbour about property development in the area and urging us to write to the council. Most are straightforward but there are a few I am confused about whether they are facts or opinions.

1. 'We have recently bought the house at 1 Miller Street'. The date the house was bought can be verified, but people may differ on what 'recently' means.:up:

2. 'The developer lodged this application with the Council at the busiest time of the year'. Can it be verified by seeing how many applications the council received at this period compared with the rest of the year? Yes

3. Can the phrase 'our best interests' ever be a fact? No, it is an opinion.

4. 'Everyone's objection letter counts' - Sounds unverifiable. Perhaps it is an untested claim as opposed to opinion. It is neither a fact nor an opinion. It is an attempt to get you to do something. (My opinion.)

Thanks,

Stephen

You're welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.