Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Sitting in my backyard, I never cease to be pleasantly surprised to encounter far more birds than I thought were in my immediate vicinity. OR Sitting in my backyard, I never cease to be pleasantly surprised to encounter far more birds than I thought in my immediate vicinity.Which is correct?Is the "were" needed or not?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
1. Sitting in my backyard, I never cease to be pleasantly surprised to encounter far more birds than I thought were in my immediate vicinity. OR
2. Sitting in my backyard, I never cease to be pleasantly surprised to encounter far more birds than I thought in my immediate vicinity.

Which is correct? space needed here Is the "were" needed or not?
Please note my improvements to your layout above. Whenever you give us more than one sentence to look at, number them. Leave appropriate spaces between lines so you're not just putting out a big block of text.

chenmoai

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Please note my improvements to your layout above. Whenever you give us more than one sentence to look at, number them. Leave appropriate spaces between lines so you're not just putting out a big block of text.
Got it. Thanks for your reminding. Can I have your opinion on my question?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Got it. Thanks for your the reminding reminders. Can I have your opinion on my question?
5jj answered your question and three of us have hit "Like" on his response, indicating our agreement. We don't add a new response when we agree with someone else; we just add a "Like". It saves time for everyone. That's also why we ask users not to add a new post to say "Thanks" to anyone. On that basis, I have deleted your last post. You should simply add "Like" or "Thanks" to 5jj's post to indicate your understanding and gratitude.

chenmoai

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
You need the 'were' to complete the sense of what you want to say.
But why are two verbs placed here? What's the function of the "were" here? I can't explain why. But I also feel the "were" is needed here.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The sentence is ungrammatical without were, which functions as a copula. I wonder if the following helps:

I thought [X birds] were in my immediate vicinity.
(I'm) surprised to encounter far more birds than [X birds].

Another way to expand the thought is like this:

I never cease to be pleasantly surprised to encounter far more birds than [the number of birds which] I thought were in my immediate vicinity.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
I'm not really sure it's ungrammatical without the second "were".

I never cease to be pleasantly surprised to encounter far more birds than I thought were in my immediate vicinity.
This could be read as "... than I thought [to be] in my immediate vicinity".

I agree it reads better with the second "were" though.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't find it grammatical without "were", with "thought". If you change "thought" to "expected", omitting "were" is OK.

Reactions: 5jj

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Compare "I thought him unpleasant" or "I thought him in the vicinity".

Status
Not open for further replies.