Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
"People who fight over/about religion in the comments are mostly broke. You won't see a single rich person doing that."

1) Does 'fight over' here means that these people fight about which religion is the best?
2) Can replacing 'over' with 'about' change the meaning?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
We still want to know the source and author of any text you quote.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Ashraful Haque If you have never heard of arguments over religion before then you have led a charmed life.

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
We still want to know the source and author of any text you quote.
It was a random video that popped up on my newsfeed. The guy seemed asian. I couldn't figure out whether he was a native speaker or not. As far as I can remember, he said 'over.'

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
@Ashraful Haque If you have never heard of arguments over religion before then you have led a charmed life.
I'm one of those quiet people who observes everything but never says anything. I keep my opinions to myself. I think in English we're called 'the quiet type.' I stay away from arguments (any kind of argument).
But I really want to know the difference between 'fight over' and 'fight about' in this context.

Last edited:

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"People who fight over/about religion in the comments are mostly broke. You won't see a single rich person doing that."

1) Does 'fight over' here means that these people fight about which religion is the best? Possibly, but they could also be fighting about other things related to religion, such as the existence of a supreme being, the validity of religion, interpretation of a holy text, etc. All we know for sure is that the argument is centered around religion in some way.
2) Can replacing 'over' with 'about' change the meaning? No, they're synonymous to me in this case.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm one of those quiet people who observes everything but never says anything. I keep my opinions to myself. I think in English we're called 'the quiet type.' I stay away from arguments (any kind of argument).
But I really want to know the difference between 'fight over' and 'fight about' in this context.
I was going to answer this one, but thanks to Skrej I won't have to.

You are right. It's best to stay out of some kinds of discussions.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It was a random video that popped up on my newsfeed. The guy seemed appeared [to be] Asian.
The next time you save the text/words from something like that, make sure you copy the link and share it in post #1.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't think anyone was suggesting that you must have been involved in an argument about religion. Tarheel was expressing his surprise that you had never heard of arguments over religion (meaning that you were unaware that such arguments ever happened).