[Vocabulary] Fill in the blank with the suitable form of verbs ( Active or Passive )?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vivekp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Once a valve…………. (damage) beyond repair, as happens with recurrent attacks of a rheumatic fever, the only way to save the patient, …………(be) to replace it.
Almost all replacements …………(do) today using mechanical devices. Among the earliest …………(be) the ball-and-cage valve which …………(invent) in 1961 by Albert Sterr, a surgeon of Portland, Oregon, USA and his collaborators M. Lowell Edwards. It …………(have) a plastic ball in a stainless steel or titanium cage. But the device ……………(have) several disadvantages. The presence of the ball…….. (cause) severe turbulence and cavitation which also ………………(cause) damage to red blood cells leading to the risk of clot formation. It ……………… (be) therefore necessary to put the patient on a long term anticoagulant therapy.

Thank you

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Welcome to the forum, vivekp. :hi:

We like you to try first. We can then comment on your work.[

vivekp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Welcome to the forum, vivekp. :hi:

We like you to try first. We can then comment on your work.[

Hi,
Thanks for your prompt reply. however i tried but it seems something wrong.
it is as follow:

is damaged
would be
used are
was invented
had
had
caused
caused
was

Please correct me if i am.

Thanks

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In future, please set out your work as I have done below. If you don't, it makes it difficult for us to check.

Once a valve is damaged beyond repair, as happens with recurrent attacks of a rheumatic fever, the only way to save the patient would be to replace it.
Almost all replacements ……(used are?) ……(do) today using mechanical devices. Among the earliest ……?……(be) the ball-and-cage valve which was invented in 1961 by Albert Sterr, a surgeon of Portland, Oregon, USA and his collaborators M. Lowell Edwards. It had a plastic ball in a stainless steel or titanium cage. But the device had several disadvantages. The presence of the ball caused severe turbulence and cavitation which also caused damage to red blood cells leading to the risk of clot formation. It was therefore necessary to put the patient on a long term anticoagulant therapy.

Once a valve is damaged (correct) beyond repair, as happens with recurrent attacks of a rheumatic fever, the only way to save the patient, would be (possible, but there is a much more likely answer) to replace it.
Almost all replacements ……(used are?)…(You haven't used part of the verb given)…(do) today using mechanical devices. Among the earliest ……?……(be) the ball-and-cage valve ...

The others are correct.

vivekp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
In future, please set out your work as I have done below. If you don't, it makes it difficult for us to check.

Once a valve is damaged beyond repair, as happens with recurrent attacks of a rheumatic fever, the only way to save the patient would be to replace it.
Almost all replacements ……(used are?) ……(do) today using mechanical devices. Among the earliest ……?……(be) the ball-and-cage valve which was invented in 1961 by Albert Sterr, a surgeon of Portland, Oregon, USA and his collaborators M. Lowell Edwards. It had a plastic ball in a stainless steel or titanium cage. But the device had several disadvantages. The presence of the ball caused severe turbulence and cavitation which also caused damage to red blood cells leading to the risk of clot formation. It was therefore necessary to put the patient on a long term anticoagulant therapy.

Once a valve is damaged (correct) beyond repair, as happens with recurrent attacks of a rheumatic fever, the only way to save the patient, would be (possible, but there is a much more likely answer) to replace it.
Almost all replacements ……(used are?)…(You haven't used part of the verb given)…(do) today using mechanical devices. Among the earliest ……?……(be) the ball-and-cage valve ...

The others are correct.

Thank you sir.
would you please like to fill the blanks which left as im feeling difficulty as what will be the correct form of "be" and "do"

I would appreciate your help.

Regards
Vivek

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thank you sir.
would you please like to fill the blanks which left as im feeling difficulty as what will be the correct form of "be" and "do"

I would appreciate your help.

Regards
Vivek

You have to try first.

basist

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello everyone!

is damaged
would be

are done
is
was invented
has
has
causes
causes
would be

Am I right? :)

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Once a valve is damaged (damage) beyond repair, as happens with recurrent attacks of a rheumatic fever, the only way to save the patient, would be (be) to replace it.
Almost all replacements are done (do) today using mechanical devices. Among the earliest is (be) the ball-and-cage valve which was invented (invent) in 1961 by Albert Sterr, a surgeon of Portland, Oregon, USA and his collaborators M. Lowell Edwards. It has (have) a plastic ball in a stainless steel or titanium cage. But the device has (have) several disadvantages. The presence of the ball causes (cause) severe turbulence and cavitation which also causes (cause) damage to red blood cells leading to the risk of clot formation. It would be (be) therefore necessary to put the patient on a long term anticoagulant therapy.

Thank you

vivekp, I have inserted your suggested answers into the paragraph which, as we said, makes it much easier to read than just a list of answers. They are all correct except the two I have marked in red which, whilst not wrong, are not (in my opinion) the best choice. As 5jj said in his first response, "would be" is "possible but not the most likely choice". What else could you put there?

Status
Not open for further replies.