Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Does "floodgates" mean "the door of goals" in football?

There was last-minute drama at the DW Stadium in Wigan Athletic's clash with Luton Town, as the Hatters struck in the final few seconds to clinch a 2-1 win after coming back from a goal down.
Wigan drew first blood through Thelo Aasgaard early in the second half, but Cauley Woodrow levelled not long after before Elijah Adebayo's winner in the eighth minute of second-half injury time.
Luton have been rewarded with a home tie against Grimsby Town in the fourth round, but non-league Chesterfield's run came to an end in comprehensive fashion with a 4-0 loss to West Bromwich Albion.
John Swift opened the floodgates in the first half before Tom Rogic, Jake Livermore and Jovan Malcolm got in on the act, as the Baggies prepare to meet Bristol City for a place in the fifth round.

John Swift opened the floodgates in that he got it started. After his goal there were three more. (When you open floodgates you let water in.)

The fact that there were three more goals after his makes "open the floodgates" appropriate. If his has been the first of only two goals, the phrase wouldn't have worked. The point of floodgates is that they're used to hold back/release a huge amount of water (enough to cause a flood).

So it means he started to open first scoring, then others added the goals. Am I right?

@Kontol He got the first one. Others followed.

So it means he started to open first scoring, then others added the goals. Am I right?
He started the scoring. He didn't, but could have scored again. The thing with opening the floodgates is that it marks the start of many- a total of four goals in this match.

I still think I'm right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back