Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Does "for a good sleep" and "to restore energy and strength" sound idiomatic?
I am talking about myself.

"I need six to seven hours for a good sleep. We need sleep to restore energy and strength."

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
I need six to seven hours sleep [every night].
I need six to seven hours for a good sleep.

Yes, your first sentence works.

We need sleep to restore energy and strength."
It's grammatical and idiomatic. But it sounds a little simplistic, the sort of thing a schoolgirl might say in an essay. But there's nothing really out and out wrong with it.

Am adult wouldn't normally say something like that because it's just too obvious. It's like saying "We can't live without water". You'd only say that to a child. An adult wouldn't normally have to say it.

Translate your second sentence (energy and strength) into Russian. Would you expect to hear it in casual speech among adults? :)

But if you're just looking to make sure of your grammar, yes, they're both fine.

Last edited:

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I need six to seven hours sleep [every night].
I need six to seven hours for a good sleep.

Yes, your first sentence works.

It's grammatical and idiomatic. But it sounds a little simplistic, the sort of thing a schoolgirl might say in an essay. But there's nothing really out and out wrong with it.

Am adult wouldn't normally say something like that because it's just too obvious. It's like saying "We can't live without water". You'd only say that to a child. An adult wouldn't normally have to say it.

How would a native speaker phrase it?

Translate your second sentence (energy and strength) into Russian. Would you expect to hear it in casual speech among adults? :)

But if you're just looking to make sure of your grammar, yes, they're both fine.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
It's worded reasonably naturally, though it perhaps sounds a little formal. I just meant that it isn't something that's likely in casual conversation, because it's something we all know. But I suppose there are some settings where it may be said or written.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
It's worded reasonably naturally, though it perhaps sounds a little formal. I just meant that it isn't something that's likely in casual conversation, because it's something we all know. But I suppose there are some settings where it may be said or written.
By the way, in case I wasn't clear, Rachel, my last post refers only to your second sentence. For the first sentence, refer to emsr2d2's post above.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
How about:

to restore our energy and strength

Status