For the last 20 years, David Beckham was a very famous soccer player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

touchstone

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
[FONT=&#23435]For the last 20 years, David Beckham was a very famous soccer player[/FONT][FONT=&#23435][/FONT].
[FONT=&#23435](from a textbook)[/FONT][FONT=&#23435][/FONT]
[FONT=&#23435]
I wonder if [/FONT][FONT=&#23435]was[/FONT][FONT=&#23435] should be changed to [/FONT][FONT=&#23435]has been[/FONT][FONT=&#23435].[/FONT][FONT=&#23435][/FONT]
[FONT=&#23435]
Thanks in advance.[/FONT][FONT=&#23435][/FONT]

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
For the last 20 years, David Beckham was a very famous soccer player.
(from a textbook)

I wonder if
was should be changed to has been.

Thanks in advance.
I had to google to find out if Beckham is still playing or not. He is not; he retired a few years ago. Therefore, "was" is correct; "has been" would be incorrect because it would imply that Beckham is still playing.

Note, however, that you cannot now (in 2017) say that sentence. I presume that sentence in the book was written in the same year (or shortly after) Beckham retired.

touchstone

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I had to google to find out if Beckham is still playing or not. He is not; he retired a few years ago. Therefore, "was" is correct; "has been" would be incorrect because it would imply that Beckham is still playing.

Note, however, that you cannot now (in 2017) say that sentence. I presume that sentence in the book was written in the same year (or shortly after) Beckham retired.

[FONT=&#23435]Let[/FONT][FONT=&#23435]s suppose David Beckham just announced retirement this morning. Can we say both [/FONT][FONT=&#23435]For the last 20 years, David Beckham was a very famous soccer player[/FONT][FONT=&#23435] and [/FONT][FONT=&#23435]For the last 20 years, David Beckham has been a very famous soccer player[/FONT][FONT=&#23435]? Some books say the present perfect can also express a state which just stopped.[/FONT][FONT=&#23435]
Thanks again.[/FONT]

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Yes, you can, and yes it can.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I still prefer 'has been' as it's impossible to tell whether the assertion is about his fame, or about his active soccer career. In any case, retired soccer players can still play with friends, family, etc., and in all likelihood can still call themselves players, just not professional players.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Only has been works after for the last, for me anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.