Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Emsr and GS, about "he done well"... I'm pretty sure "the boy done well" and other examples of "he done well" I heard many times in movies. However, it's good to know that the verb form is (officially?) incorrect.

Emsr, I just added my signature, where I state that you (all) feel free to correct all sentences I write (regardless to the topic), so thank you for corrections, it's good way to learn from your own mistakes. (BTW, you (English) write "god" with small "g"?!? :shock: They would put you in the pillory in my country for that. :) )

Regarding the "svaka mu čast" expression, I can conclude that there is no such expression in English, but maybe "The world takes its hat off to him" would be the best fit.

Done is the simple past of "do" in some widely-spoken dialects. It's not correct in formal English.

"God" is capitalized when it's a name. It isn't when it's a generic noun: The ancient Egyptians prayed to many gods.

lupicatulum

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Croatian
Home Country
Croatia
Current Location
Croatia
Well, it's probably the diffrence between our languages. Because when I wrote "Einsten was God (...)" (and forgot to put an article, which was corrected by Emsr with an "a" in front of "God") I didn't mean ANY god, but THE God. So, correct article in our languge would be "the" (although we do not have articles at all). But capital G was not because God is a name, but because there is only one God. So it's a name by default. (And we were not talking about ancient gods.)

As I said, different cultures...language barriers... :)

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You had it right. When you wrote Einstein was God, "God" was a name and correctly capitalized. If you write Einstein was a god, "god" is a common noun and not capitalized.

lupicatulum

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Croatian
Home Country
Croatia
Current Location
Croatia
Good to know. :)

But I was right by accident. As I said, differences in our languages. God cannot be a noun in any case in our languge. And cannot be a name. God is not a name. God is God. One and only.

And, by the way, I'm not religious. Just saying how things work around here. :)

But now I learned one more thing. Thank you. :up:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You had it right. When you wrote Einstein was God, "God" was a name and correctly capitalized. If you write Einstein was a god, "god" is a common noun and not capitalized.

It was right inasmuch as he was referring to one specific god, so it was correctly written as "God" (I didn't consider that to be the meaning the first time I read it, that's why I changed it to "a god", assuming that more than one person is considered to be a god in the field of physics). However, the sentence wasn't correct. Writing "Einstein was God of physics" is incorrect because the definite article is needed before "God". Also, it makes it sound as if "God of Physics" is an official title (or even a job title!)

Status
Not open for further replies.